• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table cell containing a multiple columned text box....

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been scouring the internet for a way to do this, and it seems odd that there isn't an obvious answer?

What I want to do is create a table, with the cells acting as overflow text boxes with 2+ columns (example below). It seems strange that currently the only way to achieve this is to manually meter the list length between 2 merged cells?? Surely this isn't an impossible request I'm asking!

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 16.30.18.png

Above is the current table formatting, but I want the cell to act as the textbox formatting has, with 2 defined columns that overflows!

TIA

Charlie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

I think you found the best solution. I tried everything I could think of, but you are absolutely right—split and span do not work on text within a table cell.

You can add items to a wishlist for future versions here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read about and experimented with Split and Span Columns?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael - thanks for replying

Splitting the column doesn't seem to let me overflow the text into the next, as if it were still one input box - haven't experimented with span yet, but on the split side it still seems to only point towards manually inputting each required amount of text to balance the cells out accordingly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue seems to be it not wanting to apply the functionality of a standalone textbox into an individual table cell, i.e. refusing to allow editing of the cell as you would a textbox on its own

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE

For the time being, have had to move all of that text into column'd textboxes to remain functionality (shown below), but obviously still very interested in finding this functionality in a table itself, rather than manually creating the table with textboxes just for column functionality....

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 17.43.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about the following approach?

Set cell insets to 0 and turn clipping on

01-11-2017 11-32-42.png

Cut/copy the text frame

01-11-2017 11-31-45.png

Place the cursor into the cell and paste it to make it an inline object

01-11-2017 11-33-46.png

01-11-2017 11-33-18.png

Adjust either the frame's right and bottom border...

01-11-2017 11-33-58.png

... or the cell borders

01-11-2017 11-34-30.png

I think the last step can be easily scripted: e.g. fit all text frames in cells in all tables in the current document

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you found the best solution. I tried everything I could think of, but you are absolutely right—split and span do not work on text within a table cell.

You can add items to a wishlist for future versions here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb - I thought as much!

Submitted it now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy. 

Create a two-column text box to the size you want it, then copy and paste that into each cell of the table that you want to have two columns in. 

Worked for me… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that did not work for me. Which version are you using ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for quite some time. There is no way to do what you are trying to do until Adobe introduce it into the cells.

However my work around as simply been to use a normal text box that mimics that of the table and its cells. Eg: same line width/colour and inset margin settings. Then simply flow in your text and apply the slit 2 or span 2 format. Once you have applied all the formatting simply drop it under the table in the correct position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume what you mean is when you convert text to table you have 2 columns. You would like to have numerous columns such as index of a book. You can add multiple columns by click the red [+] at the bottom of the table and resizing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines