Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table cells auto numbering

New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to know is there any way to auto number the table cells in whole document?

For example;
In master page I create a table with 27 cells. This table repeated in every page. I want in every cell there is an auto number procedure that show cell Number.
First page; cell number 1, 2, ..., 27.

Second page; cell number 28, 29, ..., 54 and etc.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Yes, it is easy: create a paragraph style and set it up like this in the “bullet and numbering” options. The important trick is to define a list

Capture d’écran 2020-05-27 à 11.30.57.jpg

Apply this paragraph style in every cell and type a space (or any other character) to see the autonumbering. Create the pages you need, then select each table on every page and override it by Command+Shift keys (macOS) or Ctrl+Shift keys (Windows). You will see the numebering automatically changing.

Capture d’écran 2020-05-27 à 11.41.47.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is easy: create a paragraph style and set it up like this in the “bullet and numbering” options. The important trick is to define a list

Capture d’écran 2020-05-27 à 11.30.57.jpg

Apply this paragraph style in every cell and type a space (or any other character) to see the autonumbering. Create the pages you need, then select each table on every page and override it by Command+Shift keys (macOS) or Ctrl+Shift keys (Windows). You will see the numebering automatically changing.

Capture d’écran 2020-05-27 à 11.41.47.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much,
There is only one more question. If I want to apply this auto numbering inside a frame tool in every table cells, what can I do?
I mean that I don't want to insert number directly into the cells. Of course inside the frame wich is itself inside the table cell. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @jmlevy  - when adding numbers to a table, is there a way to have it number down the column first and not across the rows? Thanks, James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jamesf86614706 I don't think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, it worked great but i have a bug and some of the cells show ared bullet... any ideas?

Sufa5FE2_0-1703509286348.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Red bullets mean that there is overset text in the cells. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im afraid its not the case, i changed to regular style and its just single letter "1"... any other ideas? i tried copy and past the cells that are ok, tried deleting and putting in a letter or space ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you were right, its solved 🙂 thanks a lot for this tip!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can definitively assure you that red dots as your screenshot shows are the indicator of overset text in a cell. Check your table using the story editor (Cmd Y [Mac] Ctrl Y [Windows])

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much,

There is one more question:
If I want to insert auto numbering inside a frame, what should Ido?
It means that I don't want to insert auto numbering inside the table cells directly, but of course inside the Frames that are inside the table cells.
I use paragraph style but the numbers aren't continued and all of them are te same "1".
Like that:

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why would you want to do that ? Why don't you type the text directly in the cells? Anyway, the process is the same: you have to create the paragraph style as I explained in my first post, using the autonumbering feature AND a list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all;
Spesial thanks for your information and helps.
I did your suggestion and it was OK.

You ask me, why I don't type the text directly in the cells.
well, I am going to prepare flash karts, so each paper cut into 27 peaces.
As I want the flash karts look like good for student, I decided to do that.

FC.jpg

So I  would appreciate that there is any information or suggestion for me to do it better and easier.
Finally, there are two more questions related to previous topic.

1- For auto numbering, we should click inside the frame and insert a space for example.

Is there any procedure that make it automatically for each new page that is added without clicking insid it or etc.???
2- I insert a table in master page and after that use a frame inside each cell to have the auto numbering, but the problem is that, when I want to click inside a frame in normal pages (not master page), the frame is not selected. How can I solve this problem?

[By ctrl+shift+click inside the frame, the table cell is selected not the frame]

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can achieve what you show in your screen capture by typing directly in the cell and using the paragraph border feature

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/formatting-paragraphs.html#Createaparagraphborder

But if you absolutely want to use separate frames, it will work on the condition of you have created a list for autonumbering, as I wrote in my first post.

For auto numbering, we should click inside the frame and insert a space for example.

Is there any procedure that make it automatically for each new page that is added without clicking insid it or etc.???

You have to insert a space (or any character) to trigger autonumbering. If you do it on the masterpage, it will be done for all the pages depending on this master page

I insert a table in master page and after that use a frame inside each cell to have the auto numbering, but the problem is that, when I want to click inside a frame in normal pages (not master page), the frame is not selected. How can I solve this problem?

[By ctrl+shift+click inside the frame, the table cell is selected not the frame]

You can go on the pages panel and override all page items

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/override-master-pages.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi;
I was following your instructions and finally I could do the work with "paragraph border".
I send this picture for you to see that your suggestions are worked.

Thank you very much.

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Happy having been helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines