Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of content: excerpt text

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I'm handling a document where I need to manage a Table of figures. Since it's quite a technical document, the captions are sometimes a bit long. I'd like to include in the ToF only a part of them. For example: "Figure 1: General envelope. The blablablalbla": I'd like to have only "Figure 1: General envelope" in the ToF. 

My first idea was to use two paragraph styles (let's say Figures and FiguresNOTOF) and use the former in the ToF, but I can't help having a line break in the caption, which should be avoided. 

I browsed some discussions here but I couldn't find the best way to achieve this.

What's the best strategy here?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Your idea of using two paragraph styles is correct. But instead of adding the abbreviated caption to the 'real' caption, add it in a sperate text frame and anchor it in the caption. You can move the anchored frame largely away from the page, only a fraction of the frame needs to be on the page. Then in the ToF use the paragraph style applied to the abbreviated caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your idea of using two paragraph styles is correct. But instead of adding the abbreviated caption to the 'real' caption, add it in a sperate text frame and anchor it in the caption. You can move the anchored frame largely away from the page, only a fraction of the frame needs to be on the page. Then in the ToF use the paragraph style applied to the abbreviated caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Why not just insert a Grep style in the "Caption" TOC para style that makes invisible all the text after the first dot [automatic] or after a non-joiner [manually placed by the op]?

Char Style: Invisible

Grep Expression: [.~j].+$

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assumed that abbreviating a caption wouldn't always be as simple as chopping it off somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines