• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents from multiple styles on one line

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to make a Table of Contents that pulls two pieces of information and puts them in the same line. I have one Paragraph Style for "Part #" and a second Style for "Part Name." Since they are connected information, I'd like to include both, like in the picture:

TOC.png

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

This will probably work better as a cross reference. Cross references take a bit more work to setup but have several advantages over a TOC. Cross references or more versatile because you can select what is cross refrerenced and combine multiple cross refereces with a paragraph. Cross references are aslo dynamic. You don't need to update them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/help-indesign-book-toc-and-anchors-cross-reference/m-p/11029422

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

You could make both paragraph style as 1 paragraph, separated with a space + forced break, change the style via Line Style or Nested Style.

Or use a cross refence.

What is better here depends on the details of your layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Hi Travis,

you could do two differnt TOCs side by side in two different text frames.

Simply set up two different TOC Styles. The first one is picking up the part numbers. The second one is responsible for part names and the page numbers. Will fit perfectly if every entry is exactly one line of text and typography is identical like in your screenshot.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will probably work better as a cross reference. Cross references take a bit more work to setup but have several advantages over a TOC. Cross references or more versatile because you can select what is cross refrerenced and combine multiple cross refereces with a paragraph. Cross references are aslo dynamic. You don't need to update them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/cross-references.html

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/help-indesign-book-toc-and-anchors-cross-referen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make both paragraph style as 1 paragraph, separated with a space + forced break, change the style via Line Style or Nested Style.

Or use a cross refence.

What is better here depends on the details of your layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Travis,

you could do two differnt TOCs side by side in two different text frames.

Simply set up two different TOC Styles. The first one is picking up the part numbers. The second one is responsible for part names and the page numbers. Will fit perfectly if every entry is exactly one line of text and typography is identical like in your screenshot.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've done this approach to generate a Drawing List at the front of a document. I had a Drawing Number and a Drawing Name, and a Page Number I wanted to list. With two TOC's side by side, one list collected the name, and the 2nd list took the Drawing Number and generated the page number. I underlaid a table beneath it and adjusted the spacing of both the TOC Lists (within their styles) so that I could then easily update the TOC's if my pages were moved around, and then all the while the info appeared as though it was within a table. In order for this to work you just have to make sure your formatting for both the TOC's are exactly the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, these are all useful options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines