• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents: Subheads and chapter heads in the wrong place.

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ToC is mostly complete and for the most part it's behaving as it should, but I have a few problems to work out, with this one being the most serious. 

On two separate instances, the Chapter header (paragraph style Intro_Chapter_TOC) is on the top-right of the page, and the multiple subheads (Subhead_TOC) are in the middle of the page. However when generating the ToC, the subheads appear grouped with the previous chapter, not the current chapter. As shown below, IRT, IND, BMT is the Chapter, and Unification and Chrystie St. are the subheads that should appear below it. The subheads in the ToC are bunched with previous subheads from pages iv-vi

This is only happening a couple of times. The rest of the ToC is just fine and everything is where it ought to be. It's just this one and one or two others, and it's driving me crazy.

PeterDNJ_1-1647361203185.pngPeterDNJ_2-1647361232767.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I'm missing it, I do not see a file uploaded.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just screenshots. As stated previously I'm not prepared to upload the live file or contents. And it would take me days, if not weeks, to create an indentical new file with placeholder text but the exact formatting. I'm now a week behind already and completely stopped cold by this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only has to be one or two pages and the toc. It should only take a few minutes to recreate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think this file should "work", and by work I mean it has the problem. It's a ToC page and six text pages with the exact headings and subheads. Body text has been munged and formatting is completely out of whack, but that's not relevant here. The color subheads should go with the same color heading styles, and I manually colored the ToC to highlight how subheads that should be below a main heading are somehow above it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a number of issues happening here:

• The layout could have (and should have) been created as one text flow. That would have prevented the problem. As @Peter Spier mentioned the other day, the text is captured in a top-to-bottom/left-to-right flow--but there are exceptions...
  • The TOC is capturing the styles on the page left to right--EXCEPT when text flows from across pages. Then the flowed text continues in the TOC THEN the content in the "loose" frames are captured. 

Basically, it is a quagmire of formatting. Technically, it wouldn't be that hard to fix it up, but it would take more time I can give here.

May I suggest some training? It would help your project a lot. You would want an instructor who is familiar with not just InDesign, but long document publishing too. If you are interested in training, I would start here:

https://learning.adobe.com/partner-finder.html?products=InDesign&partnerType=Certified%20Instructor&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines