Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

table style

Participant ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

table style.jpg

i can't create a table style like this. I can do this with cell styles, but I have to select cells every time. Can anyone suggest me if there is a way?
The first column has a gray background, but I don't have the dividing line on the right, while the second one does.
for the white columns I have the same problem for the first white cell and the last one. The columns can vary in number (except the first two) ... then if I find only one white it is again a problem.
But maybe there is a solution that I don't know about.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stefanofe said: "i can't create a table style like this. "

Hi @stefanofe ,

right. Table styles are limited in functionality. If you do this only for a few tables, apply the cell styles individually.

Or look into a 3rd-party plug-in for InDesign like SmartStyles from Woodwing if you this kind of work very often.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I immediately went to see. I downloaded the trial version which became unusable after 30 seconds (not 30 days as they say). I couldn't even see the interface. I contacted the non-existent assistance via chat and email. I'm chatting with them right now too ... and writing to myself. No reply. Prices are monthly for an application that I can't even try or see. And if I buy I am sure it will give me the same problem because it works on a per connection basis. And if my connection is mobile then it doesn't allow the license (at least I think it does).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you meant the plugin or InDesign. I assume the plugin. Check to see if your GPU drivers are up to date. If on Mac, see if you can disable the GPU.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really have to ask: does GPU acceleration work for anyone? Every day, there are a few questions about a buggy UI that lead to "turn off acceleration" and it seems to be across different Mac models and OSes.

Seems like this should be in Adobe's wheelhouse, but ain't...

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stefanofe ,

oh. Cannot tell why the trial version of SmartStyles is not working as expected.

Years ago, when SmartStyles was simply a product to buy I had it installed with InDesign CS5 and CS5.5 on a Mac. And it was worth its price. Did a lot of brochure production with it with plenty of complex table layouts.

Keep contacting support at Woodwing.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can help you with that - but only if you have access to InDesign on PC... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as InDesign-only goes, you should be able to everything shown in your screen capture with a table style except the second column--you would have to apply a cell style manually to that column. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't approve of this limitation. It seems to me as if in a car I had to buy tires separately. We're not talking about a complex function ... a cell style on the second column (or ... why not ... on the third or first row!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I politely disagree that it's this big of a failing. There are nearly infinite combinations of how tables might be styled, and ID handles most of the common ones (such as alternating rows and columns) in setup. A double first row is not a very common thing, so having to use two steps to create it is no different from any of dozens of similar, one-off layouts.

Consider, alternatively, that almost any table layout can be created in ID using a fairly sparse number of styles and overrides... just not in one integrated style.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not approving of the limitation does not make it go away. You should make a feature request at the InDesign user voice. 

This is the closest I could get with a single-click table style:

image.png

If the design was somewhat flexible, you could go this route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create one template table, and cut and paste it into place as needed. Inserting rows and columns copied the cell styles correctly in some quick tests for me.

Not an elegant solutions, but you don't have to hand-format every new table.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines