• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text and images are missing on PDF exported from InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 24 page doc consisting of basic text and images. Everything looks fine and there are no preflight errors. When I export to PDF the majority of the document is fine and then sporadically from pages 6-11 some text and photos go missing. I  have cleared all preferences, I tried turning texted into outlines, I tried deleting images and exported to see if i could find a bad file. I've got nothing. Ideas?

When I view the exported PDF I get "An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem."  I created the PDF and there were no errors.

What it should be:

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 8.53.21 AM.png

What is exported:

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 8.52.10 AM.png

(Renamed by MOD)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Try saving the file as an idml. Sometimes that can flush out the bad juju.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving the file as an idml. Sometimes that can flush out the bad juju.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaemp, that did the trick. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, okay. So it just needed to do a digital burp... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying everything and nothing worked. 

but this totally did the trick! thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear about this error. That's definitely not a typical experience with InDesign/ Acrobat. Let us make this right for you. I would need a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign/Acrobat
  • Is it happening with this particular file? Is yes, could you please share the file with us.

In addition to the suggestion shared by Renae, I would request if you can try the steps shared here: Troubleshoot damaged InDesign documents and then export the PDF again.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. The PDF from InDesign displayed correctly in AA Reader but not in DC.

FamaBr_1-1625457710664.png

FamaBr_0-1625457681878.png

My colleague who uses PDF Architect can view the PDF with no problem.

Is it my display or something else?

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem today and tried the idml solution above with no success. I did eventually solve the problem by eliminating a fade overlay I had on top of the image in question. Instead of trying to use the fade gradient effect in ID I took the image into PS and saved a copy with the fade applied then replaced the image and exported. Worked. I noticed the same error happened if I changed the opacity of an image on a slide. As soon as the image was not 100% opacity the error occured and would not show up after export. Ex. Changing an image to 85% opacity = not visible on exported pdf (PDFx-). Sometimes ID feels possessed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jaloha22 ,

for me your case is now clear.

The image on page one is clearly visible if in Acrobat Pro or Adobe Reader the following settings in Acrobat's Preferences is set this way:

Page Display > Page Content and Information > Use Overprint Preview: to "Always"

Page Display > Page Content and Information > Use Overprint Preview: to "Only For PDF/X Files"

You exported the InDesign page to PDF/X-1a. The image has an effect with transparency applied to it. PDF/X-1a cannot work with transparency, so the PDF/X-1a is doing a simulation of the effect by using an overprinting element.

If Overprint Preview is turned off, the overprinting element that is simulating transparency obscures the underlying image. That's all. If you hand over the PDF/X-1a to a printing company the raster image processor must honor the overprinting element as such, so it can and will be printed as intended.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this. I typically use PDF/x-1 to keep file sizes low and wasn't aware of the overprint issue. I can verify when going to print it is not an issue. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jaloha22 ,

I would recommend to change the settings of your Acrobat Pro or Adobe Reader settings this way:

Page Display > Page Content and Information > Use Overprint Preview: to "Always"

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, actually it is.

This happens to me all the time, especially with newer versions of InDesign. 2019 is the only version that doesnt give me this problem. 2020, 2021, 2022 all do it too. Not sure whats going on but as the products get newer, they seem to be having more and more problems with basic functions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultnbp6ciqy8epy,

could you make the PDF available so that we can inspect the PDF itself?

Best put in on Dropbox or a similar service and share the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two jpegs of the pdf exports. The correct one was done in 2019. The incorrect one was done with 2022. Both were exported with the exact same settings, only different programs.fail export.jpgcorrect export.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be a file corruption in one of the images.

Judging loosely by the elements being correctly displayed and the probable order of the bottom-to-top construction of the page's content, I suggest removing the logo(s) for the sake of testing and then see what happens. Can you export the PDF without the logo(s) ?

If this turns out to make the change, then copy this exact image frame to an empty new document and see if it yields the same problem. If it does, then there's absolutely something wrong with the image itself. If it exports with no problems, then there's a conflicting element in the rest of your original page, making the problem a bit harder to deduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FamaBr,

could you make the PDF available so that we can inspect the PDF itself?

Best put in on Dropbox or a similar service and share the download link.

Thanks,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jaloha22 said:
"I had this problem today and tried the idml solution above with no success.

… As soon as the image was not 100% opacity the error occured and would not show up after export. Ex. Changing an image to 85% opacity = not visible on exported pdf (PDFx-). …"

Hi @jaloha22 ,

what's your exact version of InDesign?

If InDesign 2023 version 18.4.0 it could be a bug that sneaked in.

You could either go back to 18.3.0 or forward to 18.5.0.

What's your operating system version?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign version 18.5

Mac OS Ventura 13.5.1 

Running on 5K 27 2019 iMac

3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

Graphics Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB

Memory 96 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jaloha22 

Thank you very much for the details!

Could be a new bug with InDesign 18.5.0. To proof that we need a small sample from a document where this happens. Please share an InDesign document and attach it to a reply here. Also your PDF Export preset file, the *.joboptions file.

Or run File > Package , zip the result folder, put it on Dropbox or a similar service and share the download link. Either in the forum or in private. Click my name to send me a private message. But do not forget the *.joboptions file.

File > Package

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/save-share-projects.html

PDF Print Export Presets

File > Adobe PDF Presets > Define

Save the one that you are using to disk.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/exporting-publishing-pdf.html#customize_adobe_pdf_presets

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jaloha22 ,

thank you for the data you provided through a personal message.

For me the thing is clear. InDesign will export all items on the pages correctly.

It's the PDF viewing app that has its problems to view the image on the first page.

In your case the Preview App on macOS. With my tests the PDF preview engine with the Firefox browser.

When opened with Acrobat Pro or Adobe Reader on macOS or Windows all should be ok.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking but all is not ok when opened in Acrobat Reader or Pro by other users on PC and Mac. That's the core problem. This file goes out to multiple parties. While I can open it on my comptuer in Acrobat others do not have the same results. This seems like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jaloha22 ,

you said: "Thank you for looking but all is not ok when opened in Acrobat Reader or Pro by other users on PC and Mac. That's the core problem. "

Did you download the PDF that I linked to in my private answer to you?

If this one is not showing the image on page one something's wrong with Acrobat Pro or Adobe Reader.

I definitely can see the image on my Acrobat Pro on macOS.

Would you allow me to post screenshots of that page here in the forum?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a special purpose to get the right view in every browser or with the Preview App on macOS, but not for printing on a commercial printing press ( offset printing ) I'll recommend the following settings that I attached here with an added suffix *.txt. To use that setting remove the *.txt at the end of the file name.

The PDF will be flattened. All overprint elements will be simulated. All colors will be converted to sRGB.

One other thing: If your document contains spot colors, do NOT convert them to CMYK using the Ink Manager. Just leave them alone.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you call out specifically what is different about this jobotron file from the PDF-x1 preset? Like what did you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Do you have your color management enabled in InDesign?

If the answer is "yes" you should see all the settings and can definitely spot all the differences when you load my joboptions file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines