Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text boxes got an unwanted background color

Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I don't know how I ended up getting this, but every text box in my InDesign project got a blue background color:

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 9.47.55 AM.png

I couldn't remove it after checking through the View and Window menu options — nothing seems to have changed.

It would be appreciated If someone could tell me how the box can be removed.

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

"In Design likes to apply pre-determined styles."

A best practice is that you create and use styles for all text. If you choose not to, turn off the "Show Overrides" button that I marked earlier. It looks like this:    [+]

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to it, switching to other view modes hides the blue background, so it's only the Normal mode that shows it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With no document window open go to the Paragraph Panel pull-down menu and choose "Paragraph Borders and Shading" and in the dialog window that comes up make sure that "Shading" is unchecked. Then quit the program and when the program is relaunched  no shading should now become the default. Documents that have already been created and saved with the shading will retain the shading but can be fixed on an individual basis using this dialog. Simply select the paragraphs affected and follow the process I've described.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 8.57.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's unchecked and still doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should:

1.  create a new thread
  2.  post some screenshots illustrating your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@aWebWizard wrote:

it's unchecked and still doing it.

Did you read through this entire thread? It lists several possibilities that could be causing your issue.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your solution did not work for me either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If Bill's thought doesn't work, another possibility is this:

If you used overrides on your styles and clicked the show overrides button in the Paragraph or Character Styles panels, InDesign will highlight all text with overrides. Click the button to hide the overrides.

Or, better, use styles with no overrides.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I'm Korean user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that the blue background happens for both paragraph style exceptions and for character style exceptions.  In Design likes to apply pre-determined styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In Design likes to apply pre-determined styles."

A best practice is that you create and use styles for all text. If you choose not to, turn off the "Show Overrides" button that I marked earlier. It looks like this:    [+]

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, you save my day! I was getting crazy BEFORE your suggestion here. You were right. To all: please note that when you start from a template taken from the internet the override might be already activated, producing the blue color behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, finally I removed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome @Cristiano Hossongo and I'm glad this worked for you 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Cristiano Hossongo,

Glad to hear that Jane's suggestion helped. To set any preference for your document you can launch InDesign, and without opening any document, you can setup the document presets.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you two for the suggestions.

After working in the same copy of InDesign for about half an hour, the background color automatically disappeared for some reason.

I then went onto checking the Shading and Paragraph Styles settings and found out that the Shading was turned off and the Paragraph Styles panel just had a setting named Paragraph Style 1+.  Just in case I checked the Paragraph Shading for Paragraph Style 1+ and confirmed it was turned off.

I will make sure to try out the suggestions if I come across the same symptom again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
There is a third possibility. If you set and use a condition in Conditional Text, the formatting could be set to Highlight in Blue.
Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eadig  wrote

Hello

I don't know how I ended up getting this, but every text box in my InDesign project got a blue background color:

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 9.47.55 AM.png

Is your screen capture showing the actual color you were seeing or are you simulating it?

Because there's also Composition violations, which are set in Preferences, and they would be hidden in Preview mode. The custom tracking violation is more green than blue.

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the background color was as blue as in the screenshot.

I checked the composition screen of Preferences and confirmed only Substituted Fonts was checked:

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 2.13.52 PM.png

I think it's not to do with fonts though because I didn't change the font for every text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be Underline options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Under - Paragraph Rules (Alt + Ctrl + J)

I spent ages on this... I copied all information (not just text) from customers word file and had a white box!

Finally checked the paragraph rules both 'Rule Above' + 'Rule Below' - were on - so turned them off. All is good now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I am now having the exact same problem, which I copied all information (not just text) from a word file and had a white box.  I can't get rid of it.  I checked paragraph rules as you mentioned.  I have a couple of character styles applied but paragraph style... what I am missing? I am using InDesign with Mac OS Monterey.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.55.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Yumiko24802005tnbe wrote:

I am now having the exact same problem,

Select your text frame and look at the fill control (Control, Properties, Swatches.... panel). What is the fill color? Can you change it to none? Show a screen shot if you don't see it.

It could also be a paragraph shading, paragraph rule, or underline (character).

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fixed it by going to Character Style and click on / off this [a+] button.   

Jennifer27526276odw9_0-1670904954120.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMAZING!!!! I was trying everything and wasn't work until I found yours. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines