• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the correct answer. I sold an arm and bought the Pro M1 Max with 64 gig of RAM. Workers perfectly. Can now have hundreds of tabs open on safari, all InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat open at the same time and a number of other programs as well. Never crashed. No spinning wheel of death. Perfect so far. This looks like the machine we have been waiting for since 1984. Finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already posted about this issue a couple times on this forum. What caught my eye is that you are using an LG monitor. I'm using the same with my Apple MacBook Air 2020, but I don't think that's the problem. It's with the Mac. Good luck, it's driving me beyond potty! 😬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely definitely not the monitor. I have a Philips 32" and a Samesung 32".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blame the monitor. 😂 

Blame the Mac.

Blame the memory

...but never, ever blame Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yessir. It's Adobe's issue, but until they actually care and do something, it's all our issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It drove me mad too. I bought a new MacBook Pro with 10GPU's and it's gone.

It's clear that the problem is in the encoding of the GPU's in combine with 1M by Adobe.

I told them. Hopefully there will be a sollution soon.

But it's not your monitor, not your computer settings, not your OS, but the software together with 1M and there GPU's.

Adobe is/was long in denial hopefully the pick it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue and it's INFURIATING. I'm now on macOS Monterey and InDesign 17.0.1 - It's been happening for months and has not improved. So frustrating and painful and distruptive while I'm working - such a waste of time!!! FIX THIS ASAP. Tell me what to do?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off GPU performance in the preferences fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like cutting your legs off because your wife keeps putting your pants on backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Workarounds are a pain. Best workaround I've found though is to make the page refresh somehow like turn on and off reveal guides (command-;) as it's not too disruptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do that too but even that's ANNOYING. Shouldn't have to do that!! I've uninstall and installed again so fingers crossed. If it's still an issue, i'll try GPU performance but I am a graphic designer. These problems should not have to occur at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HA! I just tried the Command-; and it didn't stick. The guides flashed when I hit the key command, the went back to hidden. Tried to show grid, same thing. Had to hold both of those key commands down while they flashed on and off and then let it go to keep the guides or the grids on. And had to do the same to turn them off.

Quit the app and rebooted and now it works as expected.

Basically, Adobe has not yet coded for the m1 chip efficiently. Or maybe it's the new way the RAM works, since some are suggesting the M1 Max chip solves this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been doing a similar strategy by hitting W to toggle between normal and preview modes. But that makes it slip some 'w' letters on the text when I send to proofreading. Will try now to use reveal guides instead.

But it's so frustrating to have to use this for such a long time, with Adobe not even showing up at this thread so bring updates. I've using InDesign since the first version, but the lack of support on this issue is disappointing. If it wasn't for the lack of options, I'd have shifted to another software by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crystian— I think a lot of us are extremely frustrated Adobe isn't replying to this thread. Yes, and we don't really have any other real options, we're at the mercy of Adobe—they know that and are taking their sweet time doing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to work for me too as a temporary work around. M1 MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NicRed—I understand your frustrations—I feel the same way. I am also using macOS Monterey and InDesign 17.0.1. 

I am actually finding myself putting off project I need to use InDesign for because this problem is so invasive—thanks, Adobe, for being so responsive to the needs of your customers.

I've been using Aldus/Adobe products (InDesign, Bridge, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier Pro, etc) since time began; yes, there have been problems to overcome, but I've never come up against such difficult issue with their software. I've always been a strong advocate of Adobe products, giving them that 10 when they ask (too often) for a rating.

But now, Adobe's total lack of response to this problem has me starting to lose my loyality. Is anyone from Adobe reading this discussion? There hasn't been a post by an Adobe employee in a long time. This is an Adobe Support Community, but there doesn't seem to be any support coming from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi – not sure when this was last updated, but this is definitely still a troubling issue with InDesign 17.0.1 for 2020 M1 Macs. It's really impacting workflow and would love to get this fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it possible to run InDesign on Rosetta in the meantime until they fix this?
I'm looking to get a Mac mini M1 but as 75% of my work goes through InDesign, can't do it unless it's stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a solution, rather, a hack, I am finding today (so who knows how long it will last) is to dial back the amount of RAM Photoshop uses (or quit it while Id'ing). This appears to help with the dissapearing text issue, and also the issue of photoshop not being able to even boot, crashing everytime until I reboot my Mac mini M1, with 16 GB RAM, or the flash of pink before opening an Illustrator file. I've also been successful using CleanMyMac's RAM purge option.

So, from my POV, it's an inneficient usage of M1 RAM that's at the heart of many of the issues I'm having with CC at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So everyone is pulling their hairs off forcing their way by working in a bugged M1 version when they could run it on Rosetta 2? Or maybe Rosetta 2 version isn't availiable on M1 mac anymore since native version is out? Or people are just playing extra drama to get this thing fixed as it should already be?

Lot of questions, not many answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that answer s not specific to @jeffhalmos 
This website's UI is just s.h.i.t that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh—any solutions as yet?? This is a big issue that needs fixing and answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the post by user @ AudioControl in the topic below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-2022-17-0-1-display-is-glitchy/td-p/125...

He seems to have found a solution by setting up the UI sizing of "user interface scaling" in Preferences to the smallest. The fix seems to work with other users as well, care to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UI of this website is an absolute disaster…
Answers get buried in old pages… If this is the kind of tool Adobe has no wonder feedback can't reach the devs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines