• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

text flow right to left in columns

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how can i set the columns in a text box to flow right to left for a right to left language?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

This page discusses this at length...

Arabic and Hebrew features in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page discusses this at length...

Arabic and Hebrew features in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your regularly work on Latin languages (Left-to-Right) then I advise you of just downloading another InDesign version that supports Arabic, this way you keep two InDesign versions on your machine without removing and re-installing.

Here is the way…

Before attempting to install a previous version, switch the language to "English يدعم العربية" from the Preferences ONLY IF you want to have an older InDesign version that supports Arabic.

Previous1_2019.jpg

Previous2_2019.jpg

From the Adobe CC desktop menu, scroll up/down to InDesign, click on the down pointing arrow on the right and choose “Manage”

Previous3_2019.jpg

From the same Adobe CC desktop menu, click on "Install" link to start downloading and installing a previous versions, this way you may download InDesign CC (2015) or CC (2017).

Previous4_2019.jpg

You may proceed to download InDesign CC (2017) with Arabic / Persian / Urdu capabilities now and have both InDesign versions on the same machine and both are visible in the Adobe CC desktop menu. This way you may run both InDesign versions at the same time if needed hence keeping your English version. But don't forget to switch Creative Cloud language in the Preferences menu back to English as it was before.

Previous5_2019.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that when you've done the above, you will still need to set your story as right to left for the text to flow as you want. Look under, Window, type & tables, story to get to the place to set that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're using ME version of InDesign, you will have the "ME Type Tool" to create text frames, if this tool is used then no need to set story as right to left for the text to flow right to left. I use InDesign nearly every day and have seldom accessed Story panel.

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 7.22.59 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines