• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Flow SNAFU

Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 95 pages of satisfactory text entry [except once about 6 w. when I had a simlar issue but do not remember {and lost my notes about} how Adobe help fixed ift for me], today I am finding that (a) again, text is no onger flowing from the last page to the next, (b) text threads are not displayed when I select view | extras | text flow threads, and (c) when I look at  the page master from which my pages were created, a ext thread occurs only after I re-create the text box on the first of two facing master pages, but still (d) no text hreads occur within any facing pages based on that master. 

Any help apreciated, as always.

Best,  jwc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Primary Text Frame on the Master Pages?

Or the auto-flow method?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer to Bevi's reply: Not sure; believe I am using the auto-flow method. When I view my page master, the text flow line appears on spread master, running from bottom of first page to top of second page. But those flow lines no longer appear in document pages created from that master spread.

Further update: SNAFU now getting worse. Text flow lines suddenly apeared [due to random keystroke?] on even pages, but  spanning pages 10 pp, apart. Furthermore, text from page 86 [of 95] has been overset on top of that on page 85.

Next step: revert to an old, saved version, save to brand new version, copy/paste from defective version to newer one, see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I view my page master, the text flow line appears on spread master, running from bottom of first page to top of second page. But those flow lines no longer appear in document pages created from that master spread."

That sounds like a description of the Primary Text Frame on a master page, rather than the traditional "autoflow." It's always been a very "delicate" feature in InDesign and if you don't use it correctly, it can mess up the threaded text frames just as you've described.

I'm also finding that feature to be flakier than ever in the last couple of versions of InDesign, but that's my experience. As they say, "your mileage may vary."

Two suggestions:

Try the first method to correct the problems. If that doesn't work or is too time-consuming, then rebuild using Autoflow instead. That's what I'm doing this weekend to a client's job which wasn't the type of design suitable for Primary Text Frames.

Maybe another ACP like Steve Werner will chime in with some suggestions for you.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing and restarting inDesign by deleting all preferences [as advised in an an old note] did not help; still no text threads are seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Currently I'm typing new text into an old, saved copy of the document. So, far, it is behaving normally. I have only 2-3 -pp, to retype, and text flow is proceeding normally. Wish me luck, and thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines