Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text in linked PSD not sharp in InDesin

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I have a mysterios case and hope one of you can help. I design book covers in photoshop (resolution 300 dpi). When I want to create the print PDF, I place the PSD in InDesign and export there (because it can create muuuuch smaller files than Photoshop *g*). Usually this works nicely and I never had a problem before.
Now I have a case where  the font looks blurry and not sharp in InDesign AND in the exported PDF. (I know about the display view settings, they are on high *g*). I exported a PDF with Photoshop for comparison and it is super sharp.

Screenshot from PDF exported with Photoshop (layers not combined, just hitted the export option):

NadineM_0-1712400583132.png

Screenshot PDF exported with InDesign:

NadineM_1-1712400660299.png

Both screenshots were taken on 200% in the PDF files. If you look closely you can see those frizzy edges on the InDesign export and I am totally confused. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't see it. I am a total noob in InDesign, only really use it for creating print PDFs. 

Before anyone asks:
- No, I can't she PSD and INDD files since it is work for a client with licensed stocks in it.
- I can't just send out the PDF created by Photoshop because it is of a hundred MB size and that's just too big (print service will most likely reject it). 

Anyone has a guess?

Thank for your time,
Nadine

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

If you are using text in Photoshop do not place a PSD. Instead, save your cover as a Photoshop PDF and place that in InDesign. That will retain the vector properties of the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using text in Photoshop do not place a PSD. Instead, save your cover as a Photoshop PDF and place that in InDesign. That will retain the vector properties of the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - 

The text layers in Photoshop are only good in PSDs when printing directly from Photoshop.

Text  layers will be rasterised when placing into InDesign. 

As Bob says, save it as a PDF and then the vector data is be preserved for InDesign.

It's peculiar, I asked about it before - and apparently it should be possible for InDesign programmers to allow the text to be vector from tiff or PSDs from Photoshop - they just haven't done it.

You can always post a feature request
https://indesign.uservoice.com/

But for now - as Bob says, save it as a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG, Thank you! You just saved my weekend *g* The end file is now a bit bigger than before, but absolutely within reasonable measures. Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines