• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text in table cell not centred vertically

Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the subject line, I have a table with a number of cells where I would like the text to be centred vertically, but it is not doing so - refer to image Not Centred 01, attached, where two identical boxes with orange strokes illustrate the discrepancy. 

Image Not Centred 02 shows cell style info, and image Not Centred 03 shows paragraph style info.

How do I correct this?

Thanks in advance !

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

I just figured it out or found a work-around - see Not Centred 07 attached.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(EDITED my comment).

But, looking at the screenshots, to me it looks visualy centered, remember that fonts have ascenders and descenders, so things make 'look' different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

check the option for the first baseline in your cell.

From my German InDesign 2022:

Position-FirstBaseline-Text-in-TextCell.PNG

Or check if the text's paragraph setting has "Force baseline to the baseline grid" enabled.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought of baseline first as well, then I saw his screenshot of the used paragraph style and it is not aligned to baseline grid.,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

your screenshot of the cell options is showing no selected option for First Baseline Offset, Min and Text Rotation.

Not-Centred-02-COMMENTED.png

That means you have several cells selected; with different values for First Baseline Offset, Min and even Text Rotation. Use mutual settings for all of your cells to get mutual results. You could fine tune the values with e.g. Min.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I only had a single cell selected - to show this I have redone the screen shot of the cell in question, see Not Centred 04. Note: baseline grid is shown in pink. I do not see any way in which the text is even faintly close to centered as illustrated by the two copies of a graphics box used to illustrate the substantial vertical misalignment between the space above the text and the space below the text.

The cell options for the cell shown in 04 are shown in Not Centred 05 where First Baseline Offset, Min and Text Rotation are all blank - again, only a single cell is selected.

Finally, Not Centred 06 (Paragraph Style Options for that cell's style) shows Align Grid set to None.

I do not understand how to get the text centred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

could you share the InDesign document?
Just one page with this table?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just figured it out or found a work-around - see Not Centred 07 attached.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines