Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text layers not visible

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. 

I've created 15 pages in InDesign for a presentation and I've placed a picture as a Master background, but when I'm trying to write on e.g Page 4, the text (or any other object) disappears. 

I can't see any other text, so I tried to rearrange the layers (nothing happening).

I can't see any text layer in any folder (unless I drag with the Selection tool, then the current text layer is visible). 

But the real mystery for me is when I toggle the visibility on Page (Layer) 3. 

Then, my A-master picture disappear. AND the text layers are visible.

I've tried resetting preferences as well.

Any suggestions? 

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Hi @OzOzOz:

You have lots of layers—and the layer acting as the background layer for all the pages (currently called "Page 3") is the third from the top. I would suggest renaming the layer with the black frame "Background" and then drag it to the bottom of the layers panel. That will allow you to always add content on top. 

As for the mysterous frame behavior:

• On page 3, the text is white. When you hide the background frame layer with the black frame, the text is still there but you then ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't clear to me. Would you like to share the file? If so, put it on dropbox and post a link here (public) or message me directly (private).

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've sent you a DM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @OzOzOz:

You have lots of layers—and the layer acting as the background layer for all the pages (currently called "Page 3") is the third from the top. I would suggest renaming the layer with the black frame "Background" and then drag it to the bottom of the layers panel. That will allow you to always add content on top. 

As for the mysterous frame behavior:

• On page 3, the text is white. When you hide the background frame layer with the black frame, the text is still there but you then have white text on a white page. The text is there but you can't see it. 
  • On page 4, the default for new text is black, so when you add a text frame to page 4, and begin typing, you have black text on a black background. Again, the content is there but you can't see it. 

Changing the text color to anything but black or white will allow the text to remain visible at all times, unless you put something on layers 4–15, which are under the black frame currently on the layer called "Page 3". 

It's not clear to me why you need a layer for each page. FWIW, a lot of advanced users never use layers. If you want to continue using layers, you might consider simplifying. Perhaps a background layer at the bottom, and then a text layer for all of the text content and a graphics layer for all of the graphics content.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'm new from PS, so I guess I need to change my view on Layers. 

Actually, page 3 behaved a little sketchy no matter where I placed it, but I created a new project and it seems to work fine now.

Once again, thank you for helping out. 

-oz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines