• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text re-adjusts after soft return line-break

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get rid of a runt in my paragraph by using a soft return to push words to the next line however the lines above the one I am adjusting will adjust and move themselves after I have soft returned. I would like one or two words to move to the next line but still keep the lines above how they are. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

That is very poor practice but if you insist on doing it, you've been warned...turn on the single-line composer instead of the paragraph composer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very poor practice but if you insist on doing it, you've been warned...turn on the single-line composer instead of the paragraph composer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Thank you for your response! If this is poor practice, what do you suggest to get rid of runts, orphins etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A non-breaking space at the point you want the line break will probably work, and won't bite you later if you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean on a running basis, there are many style adjustments that can minimize these stubs.

If you mean on a final, copy fitting basis, using nonbreaking spaces and slight text editing is more structurally sound, and won't cause problems as later changes are made. 

Using very small text spacing tweaks is a pro method as well. Grab the paragraph and change either tracking or text width by microscopic amounts to get lines to tuck in or fill out. 

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all! This has been very helpful, I didn't realize I was going about this the wrong way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also apply No Break to the last n characters of the paragraph as a GREP style to assure there is a minimum of n characters on the last line, but that won't let you control the break point in quite the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob says, soft returns are to be avoided in InDesign. Use style adjustments instead. 

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines