• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The latest version InDesign (v18) will not open on my MacBook Pro.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version of InDesign (18) will not open on my MacBook Pro.

I really can't afford to upgrade my machine every time Adobe updates their software.

I also hate being forced to upgrade the system software. I always encountera whole bunch of problems when this has to be undertaken.

Plus the fact I can't access pevious versions of the software because it has been auto deleted from my laptop is very annoying.

Adobe obviously think they are providing a good service giving us new features but I really want a program that will just actually run.

And the discontinued support for fonts issue is just a complete pain in the neck forcing everyone to purchse new versions of their fonts.

I'm a very unhappy customer who is paying for ALL APPS but this will soon be cancelled if I can't get access to previous versions of the software.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - this is a user to user forum - we are simply users of the software just like you.

It's not the same for everyone so your issue is unique  to you.

Can you please tell us what version your Mac is and what your system specs are.

There's several things to try

First thing would be to try start in Safe Mode and see if it works ok. 

If it does there's a 3rd party app interfering with the general running.

However below I've outlined steps I would take to resolve the issue - in order.

-----

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

-----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

------

Rollback to a previous InDeisgn version

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20Cr....

---------

Try opening the Application in Intel mode - you can find instructions for this online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with my MacPro TrashCan. Indesign 2023, Photoshop 2023 and Illustrator 2023 crash right at the start. All suggestions to fix the problem have not worked - only installing the 2022 versions. However, that doesn't help in the long run as all my staff are working with the new versions. Any other ideas? Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud apps will set systemn requirements for which operating systems, memory, etc. they suppoert. Please provide us more information about your MacPro and the Mac OS you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much harddrive space do you have available? The 2013 trashcans only came with 256 GB which isn't a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have at least 50GB spare

--
Cheers

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a lot at all.

You need more HD freespace - opening PS and documents will quickly run out of room causing it to crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'll prob need to upgrade your hard drive or get an external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. No one is forcing you to upgrade anything. It is up to users to research before upgrading to ensure compatibility.

2. You can turn off auto updates in your Creative Cloud application:
https://jkost.com/blog/2022/02/disabling-auto-update-for-adobe-applications.html

3. You can still install the previous version of software via Creative Cloud.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

4. When you do install updated software - you have a choice to remove the previous version or not. You are in control.

5. The Type1 compatibility is not due to Adobe. It is industry-wide including Windows and Mac OS ending support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines