• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The only style of text in indesign is that it is not bold and italic.

Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question like this; When I write an external text on the indesign page, it automatically makes the bold and italics in the text in a single way. For example; I'm writing an article using Adobe Garamond Pro font, the word lion is italic, the word tiger is bold. When I choose the font when I throw the text, it automatically makes them all the same style. I am a journalist. I urgently need to fix this problem. Emergency aid.

In CS6 this was not a problem. It was choosing the font, bold and italics were automatic.

TOPICS
Activation billing and install , How to , InCopy workflow , Performance , Print , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

You want to change the font, but keep the special styling?  

If so, see if this pair of scripts does what you need. (It creates and applies character styles to formatted text within a paragraph)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a character style selected before you use the text tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I get a text from the desktop (bold and italics in the text) and I want to choose any font. When I select it, the text style of the text automatically changes with the current font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use character styles in the beginning. Work with Paragraph Styles. Apply character styles for exceptions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But for that, I will have to choose one by one. This means a lot of time wasted. It should be a quick easy method like in CS6. Indesign Font should choose the family name and automatically edit the font style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Styles work the same in both CS 6 and CC 2022. So not sure I know what you mean.

You should really listen to Willi!

Paragraph Styles are your main Styles and should be applied to text first. Character Styles should be applied to selected text within a paragraph to change the character formatting of that text. NEVER apply Character Styles to whole paragraphs. If you want the character formatting of a whole paragraph to be differeent than the applied Paragraph Styles, create a new Paragraph Style. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Deleted User, I don't understand what your exact problem is. Could you explain a bit more? For example, what does 'throw the text' mean? I just did a test, writing in a paragraph of Adobe Garamond Pro and (on my system) pressed command-shift-B and it made text bold correctly and command-shift-italic and it was italic correctly. Some fonts are not mapped correctly to their bold and italic counterparts, but Adobe Garamond Pro seems to be working as I expect it to.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly recommend you read the following book by Michael Murphy about Styles in InDesign: https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-InDesign-CS4-Styles-Layouts/dp/032160606X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=34AJ407Z6VH2T...

It's an old book, but Styles still work the aame way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am understanding you correctly, certain words are being made bold or italic as you type, and you want this to happen? 

If so, that is probably  done with GREP styles set within your paragraph style. 

When you apply the paragraph style with these settings to your text, the character styles will automatically apply to the chosen words within the paragraphs. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 8.50.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I didn't explain. I will try to make a video and explain. Thank you for your interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to get your text with bold and italics or do you want to avoid this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I could explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You want to change the font, but keep the special styling?  

If so, see if this pair of scripts does what you need. (It creates and applies character styles to formatted text within a paragraph)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines