• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The "Cannot Place File. Invalid PNG file" bug is BACK in the LATEST RELEASE OF INDESIGN 17.0!!!!!

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can someone get back to me so that I can understand why this is happening when exporting to PDF in the latest version of InDesign 17.0! I reverted to the previous version changed nothing in the InDesign file and it all worked and exported fine? 

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the message I get with InDesign 17.3.0.61:

"Cannot place the file. Invalid PNG file."

MessageFrom-InDesign-17-3-0.PNG

When I open all four PNGs in PhotoShop CS6, there is the same warning message for all four files:

"Diese PNG-Datei enthält zusätzliche Daten für Adobe Fireworks, die beim Speichern verworfen werden."

Translated to:

"This PNG-file contains additional data for Adobe Fireworks, that will not be maintained after Save."

MessageFromPhotoShop-CS6-AboutFireworks.PNG

This message will not be issued with PhotoShop 2022.

PhotoShop 2022 will just open the four PNGs without warning… Well, at least it opened one of the four PNGs. When I tried to open all the four PNGs in one go, PhotoShop 2022 crashed.

Not so when I tried again to open them one by one.

Maybe that's the issue with InDesign 17.3.0.61? That some data for Fireworks will confuse the import filter? Definitely something changed between InDesign 2021 and 2022.

FWIW:
After I saved all the PNGs with PhotoShop's Legacy Save For Web function I am able to place them also in InDesign 17.3.0.61.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recorded what I'm seeing between v16 and v17 and how erratic the PNG issue is.

Seems most affected when you go from "Typical Display" to "High Quality Display". These images are 300dpi. 

Hope this helps pinpoint the issue.

LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oy4yUUGRONntSsBmeRRmomJGMVxUjw6p/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Uwe, et al, 

I think I've discovered the issue I'm having. Some PNGs work fine and others don't.

The difference is that the ones that work are flattened images and the ones that don't are made up of different elements. See video.

There are workflow reasons why we want to do this (easy to update for our weekly).

InDesign v17+ looks like it wasn't updated to include these specific type PNGs.

That's what I am seeing. 

Here is the video > https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rD-drd-AwtLd79NJiq-nemvDy5R3BGOf/view?usp=sharing

[windows 10 pro]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat,

thank you very much for both videos!

Interesting.

Ok. What really helps is to batch save the PNG files from Fireworks again with PhotoShop.

But that would be counter-productive to your current workflow.

Now its clear that Fireworks 8 ( was that really version 8 in the video? ) added some information on top of the pixel data for some images. And obviously that's the reason why InDesign 17.3.0 cannot place the PNG files. Or has problems with them when one opens a document from 16.4.2 in 17.3.0 that contains the placed PNGs. Interesting also to see that image preview resolution makes a difference here.

Perhaps I can place two of your sample PNGs because my laptop's screen is 1280 x 960 pixels and not 4K and above?

Would it work to place the PNGs if the layout window is small?

To answer this: no, it would not help.

Opened my test document from 16.4.2 in 17.3.0 and see the same issues like you do in your video.

If preview is set to High Quality an error message is issued when I open the document.

If there is low quality or normal quality, there is no issue to open the document.

Apart from that: I was not able to export that document to PDF/X-4. Had this error message:

16-4-2-OPENED-IN-17-3-0-Export-ERROR-with-ExportToPDF-X-4-v2.PNG

"Found 1 Problem ( 1 error ) with a background task."

"Export: "file name"

> "File cannot be placed. Invalid PNG file."

And all that, even when the preview is showing all PNG images and the Links panel is all good as well.

No missing linked image. Everything's updated.

Of course the same when preview has changed to High Quality:

16-4-2-doc-OPENED-WITH-17-3-0-NO-MESSAGE-HighResPreview.PNG

And to repeat this for all you lurkers:

No issues at all with the same PNG files with InDesign 16.4.2 on the same Windows 10 machine.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Uwe, 
Nice work and appreciated.
Does anyone from the InDesign Programming Team at Adobe ever look into this forum?
Thanks!
Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat @Weekender said:

"Does anyone from the InDesign Programming Team at Adobe ever look into this forum?"

Well, hardly…

Now that it is clear what exactly can cause the issue (other causes can also apply), best report the bug for InDesign 2022 version 17.3.0 at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

But first let's see if we can find a report that fits your issue.

Found one from version InDesign 2020 version 15.0, that was fixed later as version 15.1.1. In the comments some claim it was never fixed. Hm. I also left a comment and some links to this discussion here and voted for a fix:

Cannot place this file. Invalid PNG file
Anonymous, June 17, 2020

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40686871-cannot-place-t...

Nevertheless, it would be good to write a new report.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines