• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC outline forces capitals on some words

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Indesign my Table of Contents has the correct Capitals and Small Letters. But when I save it as a PDF the bookmarks/TOC outline randomly forces some words to have all or some capitals. Why is it not the same as in Indesign? Also, when I edit the affected words in Adobe Acrobat, the changes do not stay (the random Capitals persist) -- how to correct this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop bugs">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that can change TOC entries from their source paragraph to the TOC line entry is styles applied to the source paragraph.

That is, if you have headings in which specific words are bolded with a Character Style, that bolding will be carried through to the TOC entry (which is often unwanted behavior.) It can be difficult to get applied heading styles AND clean TOC lines.

It sounds as if your document has applied styles that are changing in some way in the TOC line, perhaps being removed or a variant style applied (if the TOC is in a separate document with its own styles).

Check all of your document headings to see if any Character Styles are being applied, either directly or via Paragraph Style GREP or Line Style functions.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I checked one of the bookmarks/TOC heading that has the problem. One of the words in the heading reads: hypothesEs in the pdf. In the Indesign file it reads as HYPOTHESES. All letters have the exact same paragraph style and say [None] as the character style in properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a GREP or Line Style defined for either the heading style or the TOC style? These are applied as part of the style and cannot always be detected by checking the actual text. They also do not transfer to a TOC entry

I'll be honest, I have no other good suggestions except to consider that the document might be corrupted. If you can't find any character styles in use — and I would suspect one that sets the text to all uppercase or small caps — then save the document as IDML, then open that file and save it again as INDD under a new name. See if the export/capitalization problem persists with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2024 Jul 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resolved the issue in Acrobat reader, not in Indesign though (the cause), which I did by selecting Edit Bookmark fropm the menu rather than editing the bookmark directly. I have what I need from this. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd bet that in the InDesign file the Word Hypotheses has All Caps assigned to the lowercase letters but the last E was keyed in as uppercase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has my vote (so far, at least). I see all kinds of oddities when a Character style adjusts case and you can't see what the base text (or what you're typing) actually looks like. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample PDF? I have a theory, but I'd have to see the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I am sorted now (see above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines