• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Touchpad zoom and pan not working (InDesign)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just switched from Mac to Windows. On my macbook I used to be able to zoom and pan using pinch and two-finger motions on the touchpad of my laptop, but on my new computer this is not working. I don't know if it's relevant, but this new laptop has a touchscreen. I found some other threads discussing a similar issue for an earlier version of indesign, and supposedly this was resolved a while back. However, running the latest version I am not able to use my trackpad as desired and it's quite frustrating as this is my preferred way of working. Is there a setting that I can change to fix this?

Thanks for any guidance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac user so I can't speak directly for Windows. But if you go to Edit > Preferences and click on the Interface section at left, you may find an option to "Enable Multi-Touch Gestures". Not sure if you have this on Windows or not but this might help. Can you use pinch and zoom in other programs on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked this and multi-touch gestures are enabled. I am able to use the trackpad to zoom and pan in other software, but not within indesign, photoshop or illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's there, Chad. Scrolling up and down definitely works but the rest including pinch and zoom is way easier on the touch screen and I'm not sure if it's possible or not using the touch pad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the gestures do work on the touch screen but it's way more comfortable using the pad/typing commands with one hand and a mouse with the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. I had this same problem and it was infuriating me. I fixed by ticking this box. Though it might have now broken zoom when using a mouse (cant test right now), the touchpad now does pinch to zoom.

rossw9229531_0-1607898240797.png

Edit->Preferences->Tools->Zoom with Scroll Wheel

Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore that! two finger scrolling now zooms! this is worse than before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out finally!

On Mac go to Preferences > Interface > Tool Tips (dropdown) select normal

This was infuriating me too, there are obvious work arounds but the trackpad zoom is useful when out and about without a mouse - hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS WORKS! Thank you. This was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found a work around.

It seems that on windows, InDesign will activate CTRL while scrolling with a touchpad.

I used a key remapper (Windows PowerToys v0.64.0) to bind the CTRL key to ALT.

This allows me to scroll.

Of course this means that the CTRL button is not available.

You can either map CTRL to another key (I swapped the ALT and CTRL key with eachother)

or

You can only activate the key remapper when using Adobe (Which is possible with the remapper mentioned earlier)

So it's still not great but at least it's works for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines