• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tricky question: Define "Variable Page Number" to insert in the text

Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appologize if this has already received plenty of coverage but I'm trying to do something which would seem trivial but is not working for me? You see, I'm updating my classroom notes in a multi-page InDesignm document. On page 12, I have a small section dedicated to "Bézier Curves". On page 35, I would like to insert a "Reference" to this "Bézier Curves" section such that the ideal text would read as the following:

> See Page 12

But I am trying to avoid "hard-coding" the number 12 in the text because, some day, I will likely add or delete pages BEFORE page 35 and then, the reference to the Bézier section will be meaningless. You see what I'm trying to do? 
The best I was able to do what to "Define" a new Text variable based on "Chapter Number" (suggested by ChatGPT) by navigating to Page 12, accessing the Numbering & section options in the Page menu, check the "Start chapter numbering" option and type "12" as shown in the following screen capture:

Capture d’écran 2024-07-11 154607.jpg

Then, in the text on page 35, I can place the cursor after the word "Page" and then, using a right click, activate the Insert variable > Chapter number option and up comes the magic number 12 as soon as I release the mouse. 
But that's a "hack", I find? Is there a "proper" way to do this? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

For this you should use Cross-References.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this you should use Cross-References.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Sir Robert. 
That is a better solution. Flexible too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make a text frame only for the text > See page ### This frame must overlap the text frame with the main story.

Instead of using insert page number, use insert next page number.

The text must be threaded.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines