• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Deleting Pages and Orphaned Page in InDesign Document

Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a 200 page book using ID 19.5 and I'm on Windows 11.

I really thought I had mastered deleting pages but now I find it's not working as I expect. I have 'Allow Shuffling' turned off for both document and selected spread. I then try to delete Page 7 but it leaves Page 6 as an orphan whereas I'm expecting the previous Page 8, now Page 7, to come up and join Page 6 as a double page spread, with the other pages changing to conform. I've tried checking 'Allow spreads' severally and together but that only makes things worse so I hastily pressed Ctrl-Z. I've tried deleting the page using the Delete Selected Pages icon and with the dropdown menu Delete Page option but I get the same result.

I suspect it may be because  my Page 6 is the last page of the 'front matter' (the old deleted Page 7 was blank which is why I wanted to delete it.) and not threaded like the rest of the book which starts immediately afterwards.

I have searched Google and these pages and found nothing that matches my situation. 

I attach a sreenshot showing the pages panel and the orphaned Page 6.

I would be most grateful for some advice

<Title renamed by MOD>

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Deleting pages won't affect styling / formatting of your text in any way. 

You just need to be sure - that it's a one long Story. 

If you have few separate Stories - then you have to delete pages "in between" - leave first TextFrame of each Story visible - and delete pages after - till the start of the next story. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Just tried saving as idml and re-opened. Everything is exactly the same with pages 16 and 19 orphaned. Sigh!

By @m5heath

Then, as long as same Story continues on those pages - TextFrames are linked together - you can delete those 16-19 pages. 

Then add those pages again - and reflow your text - create new TextFrames. 

Just in case - do it on a copy of your file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this will help - square brackets around page numbers: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/anyone-know-how-to-reset-page-numbering/td-p/143...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I now understand what the square brackets mean. I have selected all pages and tried 3 options: allow no shuffling, allow document shuffling and allow spread shuffling. The square brackets appear or disappear on cue. However, none of those options changes my orphan pages to a double spread so I don't imagine shuffling is the answer. In fact I can't see what shuffling does. Maybe it doesn't matter and it all corrects on export. My whole document is one section by the way. Pages 1-21 have no parent and pages 16 and 19 are the orphans. I hoped there was a setting that just set all spreads to double pages no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any NOT Anchored graphics? 

If it's just a text - in one long Story - you could delete most of the pages and reflow it again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no graphics. I could reflow but I would then have to reapply quite a lot of styles over 17 chapters. What I am also really trying to understand, for the future, is how the pages panel works. I'm clearly not understanding it at the moment despite all the tutorials I've watched. I'm attaching a chunk of my pages panel and you can see the two orphans. Why are they like that and how can I fix it? Is it a bug in ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "reapply styles"?

It's possible, that your file got corrupted - you could try IDMLing - export as IDML, open, save with a new name - do not overwrite your original file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that deleting and reflowing would remove all my para styles so I would have to re-apply them - headings, dropcaps etc. Which I could do but would be time consuming.

I take it from what you say that the behaviour of the pages panel is not what you would expect. Did my screenshot shed any light?  I will try the idml process...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried saving as idml and re-opened. Everything is exactly the same with pages 16 and 19 orphaned. Sigh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @m5heath

Then, as long as same Story continues on those pages - TextFrames are linked together - you can delete those 16-19 pages. 

Then add those pages again - and reflow your text - create new TextFrames. 

Just in case - do it on a copy of your file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting pages won't affect styling / formatting of your text in any way. 

You just need to be sure - that it's a one long Story. 

If you have few separate Stories - then you have to delete pages "in between" - leave first TextFrame of each Story visible - and delete pages after - till the start of the next story. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for clearing up that point ie that the styles would not be cleared by reflowing.

Now, nice surprise for me. In the idml document I turned on both document and spread shuffling. Then I selected page 16 and clicked the Create New Page icon - which added a blank page to the spread so page 16 was no longer an orphan. But I wanted to get rid of the blank page so I tried moving it to the end. And bingo, all the pages shuffled correctly except that the blank page was not at the end - it had disappeared. And to boot, page 19 was no longer an orphan either! So as far as I can see, everything is where I want it. Not sure I've totally grasped the pages panel but I've definitely taken a few steps forward. Many thanks for your time and trouble - I am so grateful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @m5heath:

Remember, always work on a copy of the original when you are unsure about the process...

So on a copy, click the first page thumbnail in the Page panel  (it turns blue) and Shift+click the last page thumbnail (and now all thumbnails are blue) and make sure both of these are checked in the Pages panel menu:

2024-08-23_08-52-40.png

And when you get this message, say no:

2024-08-23_08-55-57.png

This will restore the document to the normal facing pages flow.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Barb - I've made a careful note of your advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines