• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble vertically aligning text in INDD to epub export

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text on the dedication page of an epub book will only appear at the very top of the page/screen in Kindle Previewer 3. However, it looks fine in iBooks. I don't need the text perfectly vertically aligned in the center of the page but would like it to be down a bit from the very top of the page. But nothing I try is getting the text down there.

I'm using the latest version of Indesign--though the issue exists in 16.4 and am exporting to epub 2.0.1 as well as 3.0. I've tried using paragraph styles, specifically the "space before" function, to no avail. Have also tried to insert nonbreaking spaces above the text--also to no avail. 

Would love any advice anyone has. 

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With epubs with flexible flow you have only very limited possiblities to afford a specific vertical text distribution. Some possiblities:

• Insert an anchored frame with a graphic, like you would do with transparent gif graphichs on a HTML page.
  • Edit the CSS what InDesign exported, or better, use always the same style names and use a preprepaired CSS that you select upon EPUB export.
  • Try to work on the text frame object styles and use the text offset

Be aware that multiple returns are never allowed, neither in print nor on web. Use space before and after in paragraph styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, thanks for the help. You mentioned never use multiple returns. Is this okay if I use nonbreaking spaces? Is there some disastrous consequence to using nonbreaking spaces that I'm not aware of? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The rule in publication design is to never use multiple white spaces of any kind. It's a mark of not understanding how to properly set up styles, and while you can "format" a document using multiple returns, spaces, tabs etc. (and every secretary and grad student does) it won't be good for much besides sending to the local laser printer. Any document that needs to be processed for more complex ends — commercial printing, web, e-book, even just PDF or archive for work by later author/designers — needs to follow rules for clean organization and structure.

Yes, there are times you can very selectively break this rule, but only knowing the rigor of things like EPUB export will probably go sideways as a result. Learn to use styles to get exactly the format you want, not old typewriter/word processor 'tricks.'

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use CSS to enforce padding above the paragraph.

Sometimes space-above carries through to EPUB and Kindle, sometimes not; it can be maddeningly erratic. But a CSS format will almost always give exactly the desired top spacing. It's best combined with a CSS page-break-before directive as well.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines