• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Try the new Publish Online (Preview) feature in InDesign CC 2015 !

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online (Preview) is a technology preview feature that is available in English versions of InDesign CC 2015. The feature lets you effortlessly publish InDesign documents online. These documents can then be viewed with full fidelity in a desktop or tablet web browser with a delightful viewing experience, and without requiring a plug-in. If a richer document experience is desired, you can add buttons, slideshows, animation, audio, and video using the interactive authoring features of InDesign before publishing the document online.

The published document is intended to be a digital version of an InDesign document that will simply work on all devices that support a web browser. You can email the published document URL or simply share it on Facebook.

Try publishing a finished document by clicking the Publish Online button on the Application Bar or you can also choose File -> Publish Online (Preview)..To access or manage all your published documents, choose File -> Web Dashboard..For more details, see online help.

After trying it out, please give us feedback on the feature by filling this survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PublishOnline_Survey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 505 Replies 505
Enthusiast ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SOOO much @

I love this new feature!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is essentialy a bug in this feature. If you have a document with different page layouts, Publish Online will export every page based on your general document settings (File -> Document Setup).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergejs,

Currently we support page layout settings from Document setup dialog but we are working to improve it. So, stay tuned

Regards,

Sagar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported a bug in Publish Online a couple of weeks ago. I got an immediate response asking me to send the indd file. I did that but after several direct emails and followup here, I've heard nothing about the bug.  It's in a document I am doing for a client and he wants this problem fixed.

This bug is in a document that contains 2 animations and a sound file on page 27 of a 30 page document. The bug is that about 1/2 sec of the sound file plays about 15 sec after starting the version published online.

Has anyone else run into premature playing of a sound file in publish online?

How can I get in touch with those who responded to my original report of the bug? Direct email to the address I have does not work.

Many thanks

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jhsca,

I have investigated the issue, is is already known to us. This issue is because for smoother experience content starts loading earlier than navigation to that page.

Hence it took the response(give Stop command) to get addressed a few  seconds, by when media gets played.

This issue has been acknowledged and we have understood it as not affecting much. But, your feedback is always welcome.

Thanks,

Monica Singh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This IS a critical issue for us. We will not be able to use the Publish Online if we cannot remove this sound. It is a big distraction for readers and gets a “what on earth is that” from viewers who have reviewed the draft document.

We must get this fixed.  I am VERY surprised at your comment that  “This issue has been thought through and we have understood it as not affecting much.”

It’s a CRITICAL issue for us.

How soon can I get this fixed? Is there a work around?. If not I have to start all from scratch using a different platform or eliminate that page which the client specifically asked for.

I have to admit this reply really bothers me, that this could be judged to be not affecting much.

Jim

PS An afterthought. Maybe if I insert  1/2 sec of silence at the beginning of the sound clip , that will eliminate the sound of the pre-fetch. Ity's too late tonight but I wioll try that in the morning. But it feels like a cludgy solution in an otherwise great product....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone speaks English as a native language. Adobe is however quite clear that this is a preview technology.

Your workaround seems reasonable and I would certainly give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do understand, Bob, but many thanks for the reminder,

Thanks, also, Monica, for the explanation why the sound occurs, it led directly to the solution. Inserting a full second of silence at the beginning of the clip.solved the problem of the early sound burst.

My apologies for such a strong reply. It was coloured by the fact that this Publish Online feature, even at the Tech Preview stage, is a perfect solution for this project, a multi-lingual project planned for a new UNESCO supported website in the fall. It greatly simplifies the project and now we have a work around, it can be sent for final review, much earlier than anticipated.

I do realise that I am taking a risk using a Tech Preview for a production project and that the URL for the document on the Adobe website might not be there indefinitely. But the advantages of Publish Online are so great, it seems a worthwhile risk.

I have been using a trial version of InDesign CC 2015, which expires tomorrow, but this one feature has persuaded me to take out a single product subscription for IND CC 2015.  I only wish that there was a way to combine it somehow with my Photograhers subsciption.

Thanks again, Monica for your help.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using a trial version of InDesign CC 2015, which expires tomorrow, but this one feature has persuaded me to take out a single product subscription for IND CC 2015.  I only wish that there was a way to combine it somehow with my Photograhers subsciption.

While it's very simple for me to spend your money for you, the additional tools included with the full Creative Cloud subscription would be well worth going for the full package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 🙂 🙂

It was hard enough to justify the extra $20 / month for just the Publish Online and ebook 3 support. This is not a revenue generator for me, I just do this as a volunteer activity. At this point, I dont think I would use any of those other programs. I suppose I should not use the word client for someone who has asked for help with a project.

But thanks for the idea, Bob

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing. If I don't save document before I try Publish Online feature, after publishing online, document saving feature is disabled with warning «document is used by other program» so there is only one possible solution to save work: use Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergejs,

Is it happening everytime that after publishing, your document cannot be saved. Are you performing some other step as well. Or is it just create a new document and publish it, after that save will be disabled.

Is it disabled for that document only or for other open documents as well.

Any more information would be helpful in reproducing the issue.

Thanks

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaroud. I think the problem is that in some cases (tried for couple times and different documents) InDesign just don't close the connection with the server and keep document on some kind of upload/hold stage. So, basically, the workaround to save the document that was exported and is not possible to save is to go offline and after couple seconds it become possible to save/close the document without warning about being used somewhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, great in theory!

I pressed the Publish Online button in InDesign.

I got this message: 'Your document was successfully uploaded' https://indd.adobe.com/view/275cac54-af22-4f0f-b9fa-7518588e71a6

I copied the link and pasted it into FireFox.

The result is a 404 error.

I've tried several times with different docs and different browsers.

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link works fine for me, and I see your Roe Cottages project. I have viewed it in both Safari and Firefox. Could you try again? Perhaps a character was missed when you copied the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's working for me now too. Odd as I used the 'visit' button, which got a 404, and manually copied the entire URL, which also came back as a 404.

Still, as I say, it's resolved itself!

Thanks for looking at it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a few notes for the development team as we've played a little bit more with the feature.

• It seems as of now there is hit and miss support for transparency when being converted to Publish. Graphics appear as they would going through a print rip without a flattening transparency (missing elements and lots of knock-out white boxes) but other times they appear correct. Can't fins a difference in elements that would cause one to flatten and another to not flatten.

• We've had some random placed PDFs and TIFs disappear in the web view. (no pattern that we can find for this occurring).

• We have some placed Ads that are flattened PDFs that show flattening lines (just like an Acrobat Reader View. Lines don't print but are visible on screen)

• Auto-numbering from master page items shifts in placement about 1/8"  (3-4mm) down. However, text from a master page element remains unaffected.

• We had some headline text jump from 44pt to 88pt. Text was white overlaying an image with opacity set to 62%

• Some placed TIFs appear to be cropped by a bounding box–As if the images was slightly enlarged during conversion but held to the placed bounding box so the top and bottom of the placed logo appear cropped.

• We've had a few completely blank pages (again focused around placed PDFs)

• Some Placed PDFs have the images dropped but the text remains.

FYI's:

• For all the missing elements there were no broken links. Files were either CMYK TIFs or placed PDFs (x1a formatted for press).

• Test Indd document was a 108 page magazine about 82 MB

Hope that helps, and thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot for this detailed information. Few of the issues which you are seeing that images are missing in published output could be because of some special characters in those file names.

This is a known issue with publish online and we are working on it. For now you as a workaround you can remove those special characters from file names to solve this issue.

Few white/gray lines appearing around images is also a known issue and we are working on it.

Regards

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a question regarding Publish Online in a new post yesterday, but apparently I was supposed to post my question/comment here. Please excuse the duplication.

When I create an InDesign CC 2015 document with a URL button on my PC desktop, use the new publish online feature, then view the document online, the URL within the document works. But if I send an email containing the Adobe Publish Online link to my Yahoo address, open the email on my iPhone, I can still view the document online, but the URL within the document doesn't work. When I open the same Yahoo email on my MacBook, if I mouse over the URL within the document, the cursor changes to a hand, but nothing happens when I click on it.

Here it is:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/c74ca8bf-2df6-49e8-91d5-bdef85f5d611?ref=ide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link on your page isn't working for me at all. I do get the hand icon, though.

Be sure the hyperlink is on the entire object. Hyperlinks on text don't work in Publish Online.

Select the entire frame that link appears in, and put the hyperlink on that. Let us know if you still have problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything works fine for me - the page displays, and the hyperlink works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, the link does not work for me in Safari or Firefox. But it works fine in Chrome. (All on Mac.)

Perhaps the Adobe team has some insight on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 7, and Opera, Chrome, Firefox and IE all work, except that Firefox and IE consider the link a popup, and try to block it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first attempt at using this - it gets 100% and says View Online.

Clicking on the link or copying to the clipboard - the document says it's not found online.

I've even went to Web Dashboard and it's not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your timing appears to be bad. There seems to be a problem with the Adobe server handling this feature based on this other thread just posted:

Publish Online Cloudfront Error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines