• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn OFF New Feature "Direct Selection" in Selected Box

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select a box in InDesign using the Selection Tool (A), I do NOT want the "Direct Selection" ("Let me move your graphic in ways you don't want") circle or whatever it's called to affect my selected box.

Is there any way to turn this new "Direct Selection within a Selected Box" feature off? It does not help me manipulate a graphic. It gets in the way, slows me down, and makes me say bad words because I'm constantly trying to avoid the demonic little circle.

Please tell me there's a way to turn off this irritating new and not improved feature of the most basic tool in Indesign?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Try this to get rid of the "donut hole":

View > Extras > Hide Content Grabber

BTW, it's not a new feature: It's been around since InDesign CS5, as I recall, over ten years ago!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this to get rid of the "donut hole":

View > Extras > Hide Content Grabber

BTW, it's not a new feature: It's been around since InDesign CS5, as I recall, over ten years ago!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you, Steve Werner.

I've used InDesign since it was Aldus PageMaker in the 90s, straight through every version Adobe produced after acquiring the software. The demonic Content Grabber showed up only after I installed the lastest InDesign CC update a few days ago. Ghost in the machine, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your concise answer to this annoying feature. I use Illustrator 2021 and have no "Extras" under View. The only thing I have checked is View Smart Guides and unchecking this doesn't remove those annoying circles.

Please help. I am so depressed using this version of Adobe. It just seems to get worse and worse with all the updated  "help" it is offering. This is just visual clutter and undoubtedly is over the very handle I am trying to modify.

All we really need is the magic wand NOT to be set to 32... Twenty+ years later.

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're in the INDESIGN forum. The Content Grabber referred to is an InDesign feature. If you're having some problem in Illustrator, ask in the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like OP, I too was "saying bad words"! Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for answering this and for adding 'donut hole' to my indesign lexicon!

Had OP been using a version of CS4 for the last 15 years!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines