• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

turn paragraph bullet points into interactive checkboxes via the interactive PDF capabilities

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping to learn how I can turn bullet points into interactive checkboxes via the interactive PDF capabilities within indesign. I dont want to have to make individual squares and apply the checkbox state to them because then all the text I write may change and I will have to move the checkboxes around each time. can this be done?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a scripting project for someone to accomplish. Definitely not a built-in feature of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any idea of who can do such a thing? I'm surprised - it seems like a logical feature to me to have available in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to use elements from the “Sample Buttons and Forms” Panel? They are ready for use and you can paste them where you need them. No need to apply the checkbox state to them. After exporting that to Interactive PDF they are ready to use.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-02 um 16.54.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-02 um 16.56.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but yes, I am aware that is possible. The issue is, I want the checkboxes to remain as bullet points, until I export the document as an interactive PDF. Reason being, If I edit the text later, I want it's bullet point (or checkbox) to move around with the edit and not have to move them manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Replace Pages feature in Acrobat. This will leave the interactive items in place while replacing the text. You might have to move things around a bit, but it's very easy to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe also worth a shot would be to use an uncommon character as an interim bullet with the Bulleted List feature. Once the document is done make a copy of the document and convert your bulleted lists to text. Then you can “Find/Replace” that character with what you have in the clipboard (if you copy that anchored object to the clipboard before starting the replacement).

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-02 um 17.17.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure the OP wants them to be INTERACTIVE - not just static symbols 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, if you refer to my last comment, the replacement would be already an interactive checkbox before the client gets the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea which one was first / last - I've referred to the one where you suggest Find&Change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, so they wouldn't be static symbols after replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines