• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two Page Numbering Style in the Same Document

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm currently designing the layout for a portfolio. So I want to create two different page number styles within the same document to distinguish the two parts of the content visually and parallel.

For example, the main body paragraphs use number style 01, 02, 03.... and the minor section uses numbers style i, ii, iii...

The Numbering and Section Options will only allow me to choose one style and then it gets applied throughout the whole document. I'm just wondering if there is another way to make two styles. Or maybe I'll have to add the second type manually by creating a paragraph style using bullet/numbering.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

This is confusing. Are you trying to number paragraphs or number pages? Numbering and Section Options is how you define the starting page number of a section and the way the pages are numbered. You can have more than one section in a document, each with a different numering option. Start a new section to change the starting page number and numbering option.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 8.56.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Numbering and Section Options will only allow me to choose one style and then it gets applied throughout the whole document. I'm just wondering if there is another way to make two styles. Or maybe I'll have to add the second type manually by creating a paragraph style using bullet/numbering.

By @Karen JR

This should be the best / easiest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. Why do numbered paragraphs have anything to do with page numbers? Numbered list paragraph styles are easily defined, and if you need a "section" prefix for the numbers that can be part of the definition as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround for TWO different ways to number pages - normal page numbers using InDesign's mechanism and then single line TF with ParaStyle and a numbering to simulate a different page numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to cause confusion. Like what Robert mentioned the reason why I mentioned the paragraph style is to ask if this is a workaround for my solution or if there is another way to create two numbering styles for the page number in the Number and Section Option tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is confusing. Are you trying to number paragraphs or number pages? Numbering and Section Options is how you define the starting page number of a section and the way the pages are numbered. You can have more than one section in a document, each with a different numering option. Start a new section to change the starting page number and numbering option.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 8.56.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think @Scott Falkner is showing the correct method here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Do you know if the sections can run parallel across the document? I think you have a very close solution but because the sections I have is running parallel instead of the first half of the document and the second half of the document, I'm not sure if this can work.

Something like this is what I'm looking for.

截圖 2023-09-16 13.19.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Karen JR

Can you clarify - do you need different numbering styles applied to a different sets of pages - or to the same page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for the confusion. I want different numbering styles applied to different sets of pages like the following.

截圖 2023-09-16 13.19.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's entirely doable by setting new section starts at each change point and setting boththe number style and the start number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines