• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type math equations in InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working on an accounting document that has math equations. The original file is in Microsoft Word. When I place the document in InDesign the equations are missing. I tried the copy and paste, it comes as picture and the baseline doesn't mach the text.

Does anyone have a solution please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

InDesign doesn't have it's own equation editor. You can:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Hi,

You can also vote for a similar request here:MathML Support – Adobe InDesign Feedback

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't have it's own equation editor. You can:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello mam. i use the adobe indesign cs 6 or cc in windows operating system, how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation.I want a equation in the middle,right,left of text in my document in default size and format. I want a tutorial in English , I can’t the equation in my document,

reply me as soon as possible. thanking you

[email removed per forum rules]

Puneet jain

India

[email removed per forum rules]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I do mathematic equations in Indesign only.

Take very simple equation. One text box above one text box below and rule in between.

In Indesign I set it the way I want. I grouped it and exported it as snippet. (I made many different type of snippets.)

I made a Java Script which places that snippet inline. In script I set the value of vertical movement to bring equation  in between, and change leading of that line to bring that line down. Script ask which snippet to place and against that snippet name I have set all these values. If I want small equation I set  to 70 %.

"smallbuiltup": ["smallbuiltup.idms",-4,16,70],
"eqn": ["eqn.idms",10.7,20],

Here (-4, 10.7) is movement, (16, 20) is leading to that line, (70%) is reduction

So equation line comes down automatically, and snippet is textwrap, so bottom line also gets moved.

I made snippet width  wider and made another script to fit snippet to matter. 

I set my own Keyboard layout. I set all the script on one key. 

For all compliced equation I made snippets. 

Another way I did is

I set different operating way.

///1234///45678///   When I press button I set, script  ask me the name (bold above) and put 1234 in above text box and 45678 in below text box, and with given movement, fit box to matter. If add OR delete metter from any box and press button, Script fit matter box to text, either expanding the box of contracting the box. 

I work with character style. Script retains character style, removes paragraph style.

I am just Indesign operator, and not programmar.  Actually, I get Script written from my  programmar friend. I explain him how I want.

Suryakant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello mam. i use the adobe indesign cs 6 or cc in windows operating system, how can create a math and chemistry equation in adobe indesign cs6 or cc upgrade version, i can't create a equation.I want a equation in the middle,right,left of text in my document in default size and format. I want a tutorial in English , I can’t the equation in my document,

mam mathmagic is not working indesign.. i have trail version please uplaod the tutorial in youtube , how can used it in indesign ccs6 or cc in windows  operating system..

reply me as soon as possible. thanking you

[Personal information removed by Moderator for your protection]

Puneet jain

India

[Personal information removed by Moderator for your protection]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or MathTools: movemen - MathTools Download Area

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, all of the plug-ins are already listed at towards to top of this thread.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How well do these math equation plug-ins work when exporting to reflowable ePUB? Is it better to just convert them to image files?

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question. I'd guess images, but give it a try and let us know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a reply from Math Tools:

Math Tools adds an option to the InDesign Export window to export EPUB with Equation Images. This feature extends InDesign's native EPUB export feature.

I was hoping it would keep it in text form and put these into a table, but I could see where it would fall apart in a reflowable if the equation were very long and elaborate. I'll put this in the InDesign suggest a new feature forum. They can call it the Equation Persuasion Table. I want 5% of the cut for coming up with the name!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for coming back to let us know what you discovered, Chris. This will doubtless help others with the same question in the future.

~Barb

P.S. " Equation Persuasion Table"—love this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting to images may work for some people depending what they're producing, but when doing math for education, it's a requirement by law to provide accessible content, so an image might not be the best option unless detailed alt text is provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please help me how can create the math equation in indesign and which tools use in it and please provide a turotials in english with step by step with your voice and image with pdf formate and which version use in indesign reply me as soon as possible i use th windows 10 64 bit os, i have no mac product in my home please sent the email puneemails35@gmil.com. reply me as soon as possible thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is June 6, 2023 and MathMagic costs $500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides not knowing what day it is, what's your point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

Sometimes our fingers do hit the wrong key, but you have never done that.  My point is the date of the post for Math Magic the cost was about $60 and now it is $500.  I am in this forum to find tools for math equations and not to be insulting.  Please be respectful to people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rarher than using Tiff/jpeg from Word, export the Word document pages with equations on them as a PDF file(s) and open in AI and grab the equations out, or just place the PDFs directly in InDesign and crop them as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread.

I've recently had to format physics and chemistry books and share the OP's pain. Several authors using different versions of Word, sometimes the equations came in, other times they did not (i.e. not just "corrupted", but did not import at all - only a blank space - not even an image placeholder - where the equation was). I'd concluded that the equation import would be unsuccessful with content created with the latest version from Word for Mac 2016. However, if the docx was saved back to .doc and then imported, the equations came in, albeit as images.

There are three plug-in solutions that I'm aware of:

But to me this raises a separate question –  can Adobe please update how InDesign imports Word files so that it can accept the revised way equations are imported? And yes, I've submitted this question to the wishform page before anyone asks.

edit - grammar

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware: after install the MathTools plugin, if you need to move it to another machine (in case o upgrade, by example) it can only be done paying a 40 euro fee additional to the montly license you already pay. I´m alerting this because I´ve discover it in the mos painful way. If I have read about it anywhere (their site doesn´t explain it) I would never purchase it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! You can try MathML Kit plugin MathML Kit - InDesign Math Formula Support | SCAND  30 day trial version also provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this plugin is fast and accurate providing excellent scalability to vector. It seems no editor's options are available but in case you need a simple tool to import formulas easily on a daily basis this could be the right choice... As a publisher we rarely edit smth by ourselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW a new version is coming up for release in a couple of days, it would support Adobe CS 2019 as well. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can also vote for a similar request here:MathML Support – Adobe InDesign Feedback

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, you're welcome. Happy to help out!

Thank you, Aman! I just put in my request and included MathML support for ePUBs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman

While Updating a new version of Indesign 16.3 there got some problem in my mathtype equation. Before that i am using version 16.2.1.

See the equations are missing in 16.3 version in indesign open files and while making pdf.

I am using Mathtype 4.0b

when i am using mathtype latest version MATHTYPE WIRIS The problem is still there.

File in 16.3 version of indesign

Chap 02_Page_1.jpg

While i am using the same file in Indesign 16.2.1 on different computer it was not showing any problem in mathtype equation.

Plz see the attach file. It is in 16.2.1 version.

3.jpg

Please resolve our problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines