• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typing M key changes to default paragraph style in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue when editing text that the 'm' key changes the text to the [Basic Paragraph] defualt paragraph style, instead of typing the letter M.

I've checked shortcuts but i can't find anythign to correct it.

Anyone with any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Thanks @Geоrge 

Looks like I've fixed.

Although there was no shortcut assign to the 'Basic Paragraph' style I clicke the 'reset to base' and that's now allowed me to type an 'm' again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a preferences reset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that, but no luck in fixing it.

In the past a reboot has solved it, but I'd like to try find out how to solve it without having to reboot each time it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reboot hasn't worked either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, plugins, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, please try booting the system into Safe Mode (For Mac: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) (For Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and see how it works there. It starts your system to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue when editing text that the 'm' key changes the text to the [Basic Paragraph] defualt paragraph style, instead of typing the letter M.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your OS? Yor version of ID? 

Are you see this strange behaviour only with InDesign? 

Did you try this?:

>>  please try booting the system into Safe Mode (For Mac: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html)

>> (For Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and see how it works there.

>> It starts your system to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Geоrge 

Looks like I've fixed.

Although there was no shortcut assign to the 'Basic Paragraph' style I clicke the 'reset to base' and that's now allowed me to type an 'm' again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear you resolve the issue. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening to me whenever I type the letter H.

InDesign 2024 on a MacBook Pro running OS 12.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Kevin32837898363q ,

Thank you for reaching out. I tested this on macOS Ventura and InDesign 19 and could not reproduce the issue. Have you tried the suggestions shared in this discussion wherein you can try " reset to base" ?

Rishabh_Tiwari_0-1697043741333.png

If it still doesn't work, please share a small video of the issue, we'll try our best to assist you with this.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines