• Using the Keyboard to pan (Space bar) has stopped working

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. This is really weird. This generally happens when there is a third-party application that has similar shortcuts. Could you please share a few more details like:

• version of macOS
  • Was it working fine on the previous version?
  • When did this start happening?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, please try booting the system into Safe Mode and check how

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Key commands to zoom out is not (nor has it ever been) Command-space(bar). Rather to Zoom out (enlarge) use Command = (equal sign) and to Zoom in (reduce) use Command - (minus sign). Holding the spacebar to pan does not work if your cursor is in an active text frame (holding the option key will work to pan within an active text frame). Holding the spacebar will allow you to pan outside of an active text frame.

Holding the Command and Spacebar will access the magnify tool so that you can drag on the screen to enlarge. Adding the option key to that will allow you to drag a reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

actually you are not 100% correct. The CTRL-space temporarily activates the zoom key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Webroot Secure (virus scanner)? If yes, make sure to "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. This is really weird. This generally happens when there is a third-party application that has similar shortcuts. Could you please share a few more details like:

• version of macOS
  • Was it working fine on the previous version?
  • When did this start happening?
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, please try booting the system into Safe Mode and check how it works there. It starts your system to perform certain checks and prevent third-party software/ services from automatically loading or opening.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, which occurs intermittently. I have tried quitting and re launching, quitting all other apps and nothing fixes the issue other than a complete restart. Im on MacOS Big Sur, using Indesign 17.0.1. MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2020.

The exact problem is that the following keyboard shortcuts suddenly stop working in Indesign:

- Spacebar (toggle to pan tool)

- Command + spacebar (toggle to Zoom tool)

Requires restart to fix.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultws9nhkwo19l7,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. This generally happens when the third-party application is interfering with InDesign. In that case, you may try running the app in Safe Mode and launch InDesign only. If shortcut works fine in Safe Mode, then open other apps one by one, which you usually open, and see which app is conflicting with InDesign shortcuts. 

Also, it can happen due to corrupt preferences. In that case, you may try resetting them (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html) and see if that helps resolve the issue.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find when this happens that I have Safari open. For some reason it interferes with certain key commands in InDesign. And it makes a difference in which order the apps are launched too. For example (going by memory) if InDesign is launched after Safari then it should be no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This completely solved my problem, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs erratically so it's hard to tell what action triggered it. It occurs during stable conditions (i.e. no new instals, apps etc) and I haven't noticed any particular pattern in the lead-up. I also had wondered about Safari and will experiment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with me with monterey 12.3.1 PS23.2.2 , at the first start every thing ok , then if the computer go to sleep mode it happens even sometimes it doesn't need to fall asleep. Can't use the shordut anypore , reached adobe assistance which was crap, they only ask you to reset preferences and reinstall ( really i did already before reaching them and no improve ) ,it doesn't work . Crazy that this bug exist since more then 10 years as i checked all the messages concerning this problem and adobe isn't able to give proper solution ... the only way for me is to restart the computer which is a pain and a real loss of time ..Thanks adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Autantpourmoi,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. As I said above, this generally happens when the third-party application is interfering with InDesign or any other Adobe app. In that case, you may try running the app in Safe Mode and launch the Adobe app only. If the shortcut works fine in Safe Mode, then open other apps one by one, which you usually open, and see which app is conflicting with the Adobe app shortcuts. It is something that cannot be addressed from our side, and it varies from computer to computer & app to app.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would rather think it is a glitch in InDesign. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try close Siri - it worked for me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it was Adobe Bridge that caused the problems for me. Turned it off and restarted... everything work correctly now. None of the other fixes were actual fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines