Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected rivers only on the few top lines

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-08-15 150928.png

In theory the wider the columns, the better justification should work.
So I made an experiment to create only one column and I got huge rivers but only for the top rows.
How can this be explained?

TOPICS
InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm looking at that drop cap, for starters.

You have hyphenation on, okay. Try applying a gentle text squeeze to the top line, then the top two, and possibly all three. A few percent tighter tracking, or a few percent text width, or a combination.

It's not always possible to figure out the why when you are doing combination layouts like this, but gentle fixes often get around such issues.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also say the drop cap is probably the culprit.

In addition to tracking the entire paragraph you can kern just the spaces for selected text. I use this a lot to tighten or loosen word spacing without changing the kerning between the letters in the words, which I think looks better. I don't know a menu command to do this, but the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl (Cmd) + Alt (Opt) + Backspace or \ (backslash) will tighten or loosen just the spaces +/- 10 respectively each time you apply them. It doesn't always work, but it's usually the first thing I try for adjusting lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to recreate the issue and i couldn't, now I get no rivers with one column. No idea why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change anything in the text at all? The Adobe Paragraph composers can and will make drastic changes depending on the actual text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what caused it and i couldn't recreate the issue. I just tought someone has seen this before and it's some known thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like there are line breaks (shift-returns) at the end of each line. Turn on your hidden characters to check.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will if I can recreate the issue, now it's gone since I have changed my columns and many settings every minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I will if I can recreate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines