• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unicode font incompatibility in Indesign

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Creative Suite Mac version and want to know as why Unicode font does not work on Indesign. When I copy and paste UC text from MS Word  to Indesign it converts into box symbols. Could I find a perfect solution for this problem please?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What font you are using (OpenType, TrueType, TypeKit, PS)?

Mac PC?

Did you change the preference of clipboard handling?

Regards

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign treats fonts with a bit more respect than Microsoft Word. If you enter a character in Word that is not available in the current font, it selects another font on its own. It does not tell you what it used, though, and you cannot know if it did, and if you knew, you cannot change that font to something else.

InDesign only shows the characters that are actually available in the font. My bet is that you need to select another font to see what you entered.

This has nothing to do with Unicode – that works the same, in Word and in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like this colution. I can post this unicode character here:  

But if I do it in InDesign it wont copy, just displays a missing font box. I can even post it in the search box in the glyphs panel and it shows no results. Pretty frustrating as it works in notepad, html WYSIWG editors, etc. But not InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because it's a glyph and not a font - so to speak.

Basically, InDesign can only display the glyphs available within the font. 

If that glyph doesn't exist - then you get a blank square.

A font that support this glyph is Cambria

EugeneTyson_0-1676818368647.png

There might be other fonts that have this glyph, you'd have to check your own fonts.

• Arial
  • Times New Roman
  • Calibri
  • Verdana
  • Cambria
  • Georgia
  • Helvetica
  • Open Sans
  • Roboto
  • Lato

Might have the left arc clockwise arrows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the forum-ware here has pretty much every language glyph available, which is not always the case. That is, what might post here is not necessarily much of a test.

Any font specified in ID has to have the relevant glyph, or it won't show. It's that simple/annoying. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines