• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update all cross-references?

Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the help on Adobe's site, I can update all cross references as follows:

"To update all cross-references in a book, choose Update All Cross-References from the book panel menu. You are notified if any cross-references remain unresolved."

Um. What is the 'book panel menu' and where do I find it?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

This tells me you are not using a book.

For an individual file, use the Update Cross References button at the bottom of Window > Type and Tables > Cross References. Either select the individual x-refs that need updating and click the button, or to update all x-refs, deselect all of them by clicking underneath the last one, and then click the button.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tells me you are not using a book.

For an individual file, use the Update Cross References button at the bottom of Window > Type and Tables > Cross References. Either select the individual x-refs that need updating and click the button, or to update all x-refs, deselect all of them by clicking underneath the last one, and then click the button.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Interesting difference: update all changed links: opt-click the update button. Update all the changed cross-references: deselect all and click the update button. Suggestion: opt-click everywhere (with a tooltip either way) would be better (consistency in the UI)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and tried that before answering this morning. InDesign uses Alt/Opt+click in many of the panels (as do Photoshop and Illustrator) to boost the performance of a button.

This is a user-to-user forum, you can log a feature request here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having a similar issue. I do have an InDesign book with 17 docs. The cross-reference is pointing back to my appendix.indd where the page number is 152. However, my cross-reference still says 151. I've deleted the reference and tried to recreate it, and it is still saying 151. I've updated all numbers in the book, saved all docs and the book. Still, it says 151. Am I missing something? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Wow! Ok, I discovered that the paragraph style was being applied to a Hard Return Space on the previous page. I inserted a frame break, and all is well again. I hope this hopes someone else in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

We're glad to see that you found the solution. We appreciate sharing it here & I am sure it'll help other users with similar situation. You may also check out this help article as well to know more about editing text in InDesign. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines