Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated links are resizing my content

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a page with 4x frames, each frame has the same PDF content, each shows a different part of that PDF.  After making some slight changes to one layer of the PDF in Illustrator, InDesign asks me to update the links, but the content goes back to full size and moves.

I have previously turned off content aware fit as the default under General, and I have 'Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking' checked in File Handling preferences.

These are drawings that are well aligned, and it's a lot of work to put right if I can't simply update the links.  Not had this problem since content aware was introduced, and I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

V.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

I have updated the files and saved it as .ai and repositined all within ID.  Today I have had to swap two swatches on the .ai file, and when I update the links in ID I have the same problem where each frame shows the .ai file with the wrong scaling etc.

I've checked the setting as per the first post, and I'm only dealing with an .ai file now.  Please help! It takes me so long to get these images lined up and scaled each time this happens that I'm losing my mind!  It's a building plan of many lay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

There ust have been a glitch with the file, as it is now behaving as it should.  I saved a copy of the ID file, opened the original one again and when I updated the links everything stayed where it should.  I am using object leyer options in each frame, so each frame shows different layers from the source .ai file.  Each layer is the same except for colours - this is for a fire alarm zone chart. The frames show a cropped view of different parts of that file, but when I was updating links the cro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever that Illustrator can redact PDF, this is not a redactor of PDF. Save your PDF after redaction in PDF as .ai and re-place your links with new created .ai files.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks George.  I normally use .ai for allof my work, not sure why I've used .pdf this time - it'll be the last time after this news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated the files and saved it as .ai and repositined all within ID.  Today I have had to swap two swatches on the .ai file, and when I update the links in ID I have the same problem where each frame shows the .ai file with the wrong scaling etc.

I've checked the setting as per the first post, and I'm only dealing with an .ai file now.  Please help! It takes me so long to get these images lined up and scaled each time this happens that I'm losing my mind!  It's a building plan of many layers, and each frame shows a different part with different layers, so it looks like ID is dealing with 4 separate files but it's only 1.  There are layers in ID which show callout notes which point at specific parts of the plan so its a lot of work to redo everytime.  I've used this smae method for years with no issues until now.

Thanks,

V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use it same one .ai-file in different frames? Why don't you think that after changing layers position InDesign will store different states? This is one source file. To do some manipulations with layers and still have one source file you are need to use it object layer options feature

https://creativepro.com/saving-ai-versions-as-layers-and-accessing-them-in-indesign/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Today I have had to swap two swatches on the .ai file, and when I update the links in ID I have the same problem where each frame shows the .ai file with the wrong scaling

Can you share package of your sample to us? Just package one page with one .ai placed (through some dropbox or yadisk service). And say what you do with that file, what you have as a "bug" and what was expect as right behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There ust have been a glitch with the file, as it is now behaving as it should.  I saved a copy of the ID file, opened the original one again and when I updated the links everything stayed where it should.  I am using object leyer options in each frame, so each frame shows different layers from the source .ai file.  Each layer is the same except for colours - this is for a fire alarm zone chart. The frames show a cropped view of different parts of that file, but when I was updating links the cropped part was different, and each frame showed the same part.

I can't explain why, but it is now working and I changed nothing other than saving a copy with a different name.

I appreciate your time on this, but it must be a local problem when it really did feel like a bug all morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Save as - too a trick 🙂 Glad that all is ok. Don't forget to do a backup periodically. I do remember a bug few versions ago when after indd-idml-indd conversion all object layer options resets for all images. Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines