Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upper and lowercase

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. 

I'm trying to export an pdf. Everytime I export, the letters that are written in capitals randomly go from lowercase and uppercase when I copy the text from the pdf and onto Notepad.

I've tried to force the letters to be capitals by typing them in with caps lock activated - and the problem still occurs. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this have to do with InDesign and why are you copy/pasting from the PDF which is never reliable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Indesign. It seems there is some setting in my document that does this bug - because if I copy the text(including paragraph styles) into another new document - the problem is not there. 

The reason I'm copying this from pdf, is because the pdf-file needs to be tagged in India - this is a financial report. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...]

The reason I'm copying this from pdf, is because the pdf-file needs to be tagged in India - this is a financial report. 

By @Petra25030098qmmv

What do you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless, it's a limitation of copy/paste from PDF. You never know what you're going to get and again, nothing to do with InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless, it's a limitation of copy/paste from PDF. You never know what you're going to get and again, nothing to do with InDesign.

By @BobLevine

I'm just trying to understand what OP is really trying to achieve - so maybe there is an option of doing it directly in the InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply was meant for the OP. None of this makes any sense. Copying text from a PDF has never been reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you saying this has nothing to do with InDesign? It's where the problem occurs. 

My client is copying from the pdf - because he is making an iXBRL-file from the PDF. That is why. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client is copying from the pdf - because he is making an iXBRL-file from the PDF. That is why. 

By @Petra25030098qmmv

Why not do it directly from InDesign?

You will of course need custom XML exporting tool ... been there, done that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just need to know why my document is doing that. It does not make sence that it randomly generates Upper and Lowercase. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are having a problem doing something that has always been a problem. Stop copying text from a PDF. There is no way to know why this is happening and since the original InDesign file is available doing this is the only thing that makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you have understood what I'm trying to say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I could easily say the same and since you refuse to explain anything, I'll just leave you to your devices.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think you have understood what I'm trying to say

By @Petra25030098qmmv

You are trying to extract text from a "by product" instead from the source. 

If you would like to know exactly why you've this mixup - you would've to share INDD file. 

What I suspect - in InDesign someone entered text as mix of upper and lower cases - and used AllCaps formatting - local or Char/ParaStyle.

So it displays "correctly" but internally - it's a mix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines