• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using "Indent to Here" in InDesign on the second line of a bullet deletes the text after. How can I fix this?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using a MAC and the Indent to Here shortcut ( Command + \ ) in InDesign does not indent the text, it deletes everything after. I just did an update and it's still having this issue. What can I do to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Setting up a bullet paragraph should never be done with the indent to here character. To maintain an accurate indent—especially if using multiple paragraphs—the left indent and the negative first line indent should always be set in either the paragraph panel (see screen shot) or through similar fields within the Bulleted and Numbered List function (found under the Type Menu). A tab should be set after the bullet which will automatically assume the left indent. With either method the indent can b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

could you please post a screenshot? May be the column is too small to content the text...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Using "Indent to Here" on the second line of a bullet...

Second line? I guess this is why your text is in excess (not deleted ^^)...

Insert it at the beginning of your paragraph (or even better, use indents)

See what's happening:

jump.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use intend here, create appropiate paragraph styles and use the bullet function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^Right. You're misusing the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting up a bullet paragraph should never be done with the indent to here character. To maintain an accurate indent—especially if using multiple paragraphs—the left indent and the negative first line indent should always be set in either the paragraph panel (see screen shot) or through similar fields within the Bulleted and Numbered List function (found under the Type Menu). A tab should be set after the bullet which will automatically assume the left indent. With either method the indent can be made into a paragraph style (Bullets and Numbering is a section within the New Paragraph Style dialog).  

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 2.52.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just answer the question? I use this a lot when I am cranking out something quickly and find it very useful. I believe it is a preferences thing. Try trashing the prefs and restarting Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use tab to get the indent to where you want it, then type Ctrl+\ to make all the lines below it line up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This is a super helpful response to the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines