Exit

UXP Scripting manual

Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help of InDesign says 

UXP Scripting
Scripting in InDesign is now powered with the Unified Extensibility Platform (UXP) so that you can use modern JavaScript (ES5 and most of the ES6 features) to automate tasks. Find out more information about UXP Scripting https://developer.adobe.com/indesign/uxp/ 

And this link goes nowhere. Is there some manual about new scripting?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner
TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

https://developer.adobe.com/indesign/uxp/ 
InDesign UXP (Scripting) documentation URL is now available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Docs are probably being created by now regarding the Github page:

https://github.com/AdobeDocs/uxp-indesign

Most of the entries are only a few days left and mostly WIP.

There was a page with sample but it's not unavalaible. My guess is that is was released too soon 😉

https://github.com/AdobeDocs/uxp-indesign/tree/main/src/pages/uxp-scripting-samples

Apart from that, you can have a look at UXP Scripting with Photoshop and try to build from there by analogy.

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mostly WIP.

By @Loic.Aigon

What does this mean?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIP => Work in progress. I do trust the Adobe Developer's team's efforts to deliver top-notch documentation. they always do 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Geоrge,

Thank you for highlighting the issue with the scripting help article link not working. We've highlighted the concern to the content team, who will be working on it on priority basis.

We'll update the post as soon as the correction has been made.

Thank you again for your attention and contribution to the InDesign community. We really appreciate your presence in the community.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the warm words! Please ask your engineers for some manuals about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure that if they had manuals already available, you would have them already. Being part of the prerelease on that topic, I can't warranty there weren't any super extra guides hidden to the public 🙂 It will soon come for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://developer.adobe.com/indesign/uxp/ 
InDesign UXP (Scripting) documentation URL is now available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kudos @Anoop Valomkot and the whole Extensibility Adobe Team for providing this 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While some documentation is now available and may be helpful, it wasn't good enough to help me get started with UXP. I am already an experienced developer with ExtendScript, but did not yet manage to create anything useful with UXP. Especially I would like to learn how to build user interfaces with html.

And how can I import the modules? For example, `require('uxp').host` – as taken from the documentation – directly leads into an non-captured exception.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have the details of the error you ran into, but my guess is that the script file you ran did not have extension 'idjs'. Is this the case?

You could try this sample script on dialogs and see if it helps you with building interfaces with Javascript alone. For building more advanced user interface involving html/css, they need to be UXP plugins and not scripts. This is a feature under implementation.

You could also try UXP Developer Tool while getting started on UXP Scripting with InDesign. It is useful in debugging UXP scripts. UDT's console tab allows to experiement with Javascript APIs and inspect their results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines