Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Videos aren't playing in interactive indesign document

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

My team and I are trying to update an interactive online indesign document. It's an annual report and it has a number of interactive functions like lightboxes, hotspots and video playing etc. 

We have managed to make every function work except the video playing. 

When we publish the document and navigate to the videos the following happens: 

• The screen greys out
  • The X appears 
  • And the audio plays

But the visuals in the video, hosted on Vimeo, does not appear. 

Is there an explanation for this? We are confused. 

TOPICS
Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Hi! I am a beginning InDesign user and have started working to create Interactive PDFs. As an educator I use a lot of videos so this has been a topic that I have need help with that I have already had to look up.

Unfortunately it does not seem like there is a way to embed videos. A post from a couple of years ago in the community stated that embedding YouTube, Vimeo, etc doesn't work in InDesign because it links to the webpage and not the video itself. Apparently it is a legality issue since you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am a beginning InDesign user and have started working to create Interactive PDFs. As an educator I use a lot of videos so this has been a topic that I have need help with that I have already had to look up.

Unfortunately it does not seem like there is a way to embed videos. A post from a couple of years ago in the community stated that embedding YouTube, Vimeo, etc doesn't work in InDesign because it links to the webpage and not the video itself. Apparently it is a legality issue since you cannot link directly to the video stream. 

Here is the link to the post I referenced before for more clarity on this issue. https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/placing-vimeo-or-youtube-video-in-interactive-pdf...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want videos available in exported PDFs? Sorry, this functionality has been removed several Years ago. Make links to the web, so these videos will play in a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still play video in mp4 format, but you will need to change the pdf preference from Flash to native player like Quicktime.

That said, would I advice that: no, because you have no control over that setting by the user AND it is clearly not future proof...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pdf with video will not work on all devices, all users, the same. thats why adobe removed it several years ago!

When i create a pdf with video for several users, i will excpect that not all users will play my video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is set to Multimedia trust (legacy) and is expected to be removed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Wendy26250520zhm8 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Will it be possible for you to share the link with us? Have you tried it on a different browser? Please share the version of InDesign & OS, we'll try our best to assist you with this.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playing videos in interactive PDF are no longer available..

you will notice video under Epub/publish onnlinne Only!

that means Video will nnot play in PDF.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 9.14.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines