• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

viewing problems

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having viewing problems. These attached are two screenshots of the same layout, the first is indesign, the second from a different software. Maybe I have some wrong settings? I work with Mac. Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the "different software" you're viewing the layout in? Is it a PDF (how was it created)? Is it an exported image file like JPEG or PNG?

What you see as being "wrong" between the two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first image is from Indesign, the second is from Quaerk Xpress. In the image from Indesign I see a bad display quality, very different from the print. In the second case I think it's much better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the actual layout or are you looking at a placed image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you created identical layouts in the two apps and you're wondering why two different apps have slightly different displays? I'm not sure I see the problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. More examples

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a blind swing at a useful answer: with very few exceptions, all mature apps on all platforms can have their working display optimized, through either internal app settings, OS/driver level settings or sometimes system/user settings. Comparing the layout view between two otherwise completely different apps is... not useful or likely to lead to any meaningful 'solution.'

Use the app that serves your needs, and do everything possible to optimize its interface and operation for your needs.

ETA: It's also wise to choose an app that's still supported and in constant development over one that's essentially obsolete, no matter how much prettier its working display is. 🙂

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear. I abandoned Quark to switch to Indesign and was hoping that this gap would have a solution. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing is a faulty InDesign display. Depending on your platform, hardware, OS and ID version, there are many ways to clean up and optimize the display quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, I'm glad it's a problem and not normal, maybe I can fix it. This is my operating system. Can you give me some suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Mac guy but many here are. It looks entirely as if you have font issues, perhaps related to mapping of the various weights and faces. I know that InDesign on the Mac uses a separate font cache and that (speaking very generally) getting your font types and installation sorted out is a common issue.

Note that Adobe has completely deprecated all use of T1 fonts, after several years of alerts. If your system has T1 fonts installed you need to avoid using them for InDesign, or update them to modern OpenType formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not easy with fonts. This example is a simple Roboto (Google font)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may wish to completely uninstall Roboto, then reinstall it from a fresh download of the files. That often fixes font mapping and access issues, especially for a somewhat fussy app like InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alessia29296961fhwq wrote:

This is my operating system. 

Does Big Sur still have "Use font smoothing" option in System Preferences > Appearance? It was removed in recent systems, don't remember when. If it's still there try to toggle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On Big Sur there is no longer this entry and I have seen that this problem is on all Adobe apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines