Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

warning sign in book panel

Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After combining three INDD files into Cover.indd, I reponed Grimms.indb.

I see a warning sign.

After I open Cover.indd, it looks fine.

What's going on?

Hosun

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 6.12.28 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-11-29 at 6.15.36 AM.png

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

When a book file is open and you modify a file in that book the book file will note the change (number of pages, starting page number, styles, swatches, etc.). This is needed to make sure the book file can keep everything up to date, for example if the second document is supposed to continue page numbering then the book file needs to know how many pages are in the first file and what page number it ends with. If you modify the InDesign document while the book file is not open InDesign will not k

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a book file is open and you modify a file in that book the book file will note the change (number of pages, starting page number, styles, swatches, etc.). This is needed to make sure the book file can keep everything up to date, for example if the second document is supposed to continue page numbering then the book file needs to know how many pages are in the first file and what page number it ends with. If you modify the InDesign document while the book file is not open InDesign will not know what has changed and how that affects the rest of the book, even if nothing significant changed. Open the book file and then double-click on any documents with warning flags. This will open them and update the Book file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it's not clear, you do not need to use a Book file. A single INDD document is completely standalone for all development, design and export purposes. It does not need to be "enclosed" in an INDB file at all.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I reduced INDD files into one single file and exported to EPUB.

But the links on the Table of Contents are missing and the EPUB still starts with page 3.

I think I'd rather do over from a single file.

Hosun

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 3.34.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your current file set might have too many accumulated problems to be worth trying to salvage.

Create a new INDD file with the page layout, margins etc.you have been using. Then cut and paste the content of each of your prior INDD files into it, creating one single text flow from the title through each of the stories. Then adjust the formatting, including page breaks, to get the pages looking the way you wish them to.

THEN use the Export menu to export to EPUB  That won't be the end of your efforts, but you should have a solid start from which to extend the book and learn how to adjust formatting for a clean EPUB result.

But it's essential that the content be one continous text flow. Don't create separate text frames for, say, the title page, and once you have the text laid in, place the generated TOC frame where you want it and then anchor it to the previous paragraph (looks like the title, from your layouts) so that it is included in the export at the right point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I placed Table of Contents on page 3 and achored it to Title on page 1.

It looks not OK.

What did I do wrong?

Hosun

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 7.02.01 AM.pngScreenshot 2022-12-01 at 7.03.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be a little bit tricky to get anchored objects to go and stay where you want them. In this case, create a style that breaks to the next page (use the body style, and make a variant with the break). Then anchor the TOC to that style and adjust the TOC frame size and position to stay on that page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For title (Grimms' Fairy Tales) on page 1,  I applied Title (paragraph style) and tagged h1.

On EPUB, the issue is the location of Table of Contents.

Object Export Options can be a workaround?

Hosun

IdIdEPUB on BooksEPUB on BooksObject Export Options on TOCObject Export Options on TOC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is completely wrong is to use more than 1 succeeding return, never do that, specially if you want to create an EPUB.

TOC need no anchoring. TOC have in their definition their own healdline, use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply.

What is "no more than 1 succeeding return"?

Can you explain more, if you don't mind?

It's my first time to make a reflowable EPUB.

Hosun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You used several returns after each other. It is a total no-go. A return seperates paragraphs. If a return is used and the next paragraph has no text, only the next return, it is a no-go. With EPUB export those returns are ignored, in print they produce more work and many other problems. Don't do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines