• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Object Style Options are overriding the Based On style or being inherited?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Object Style Options window, how can I tell which properties are inherited from the “Based On” style (set in its General section) and/or which ones are overriding the parent’s properties? I can clearly identify the latter in the Paragrah/Character Style Options, General ▸ Style Settings, but in Object Style Options, Style Settings is different in that it lists all formatting properties, inherited or not.

Would InDesign lacks this feature (!), is there any script out there that provides it or helps with it?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover your mouse over the style it should show the overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tagged as correct answer, but it is not at all relevant to the question. Please, reread the original one.

I.e. I am not asking how to know what formatting is overriding the currently applied style, but how do I know how an Object style is refining/modifying the one it is based on, as set in its Object Style Options ▸ General ▸ Based On.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the same original person who posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, excuse me. I was inadvertently signed in with an alternate (work) account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Paragraph Styles and Character Styles panel there is a button with a Plus in it

This will show you any text that has been overridden 

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 11.04.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's not it can you please elaborate on what it is you require?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, not talking about formatting overrides, but about style option inheritance in Object styles.

For Paragraph styles, that is clear, since properties that are different from the Based On style (and therefore not inherited anymore) are listed as such in the Paragraph Style Options ▸ General ▸ Style Settings:

Captura de pantalla 2021-08-03 a las 12.09.26.jpg

Style Settings here is telling me explicitely that “all style options are inherited from [Basic Paragraph] except ‘size: 15 pt’”

For Object styles, instead, Style Settings lists all style options irrespective of whether they are inherited from the Based On style or not, and does not inform me of the latter:

Captura de pantalla 2021-08-03 a las 12.16.13.jpg

I see no way to tell what style options come from the Based On style, and which ones were modified and therefore break the inheritance. That makes it impossible to have a sane style strategy based on inheritance IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I do not see a way to show this information for you. 

You can post a feature request here

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

It might be possible with a Script - but I don't know for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference, there is already a registered related feature request there: A facility to tell what settings are 'inherited' from another style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Feel free to add your vote to the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines