• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's that quick way to force a word to unhyphenate?

Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost feel foolish asking this, but tonight for some reason I'm blanking out on a keyboard sequence I use practically daily but which, for some reason, is escaping me at the moment.  I can't find a reference to it anywhere in my notes or online.  The key combo includes a hyphen, and you type this combo just ahead of just one word when you don't want just THAT one word to hyphenate. It isn't a setting for the document overall; it's just a quick way to prevent hyphenation, for example, at the end of a line of text, vs. using a forced return (which might throw things off if the text shifts later).  Does anyone out there know the key combo I'm talking about?  I think I've done it on automatic for so long that I just haven't thought about what it is, and now that I have to tell someone, I can't!  Standing by for your most helpful responses, and please don't judge!!! LOL

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Ah. I'm not quite a lost cause after all.  It came back to me.  If you would like to use this shortcut, it is:

"Ctrl [plus] Shift [plus] -" (minus sign or hyphen). Just insert directly before a word you do not want to hyphenate (NOTE: this does not affect compound words where hyphens have been manually inserted).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. I'm not quite a lost cause after all.  It came back to me.  If you would like to use this shortcut, it is:

"Ctrl [plus] Shift [plus] -" (minus sign or hyphen). Just insert directly before a word you do not want to hyphenate (NOTE: this does not affect compound words where hyphens have been manually inserted).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discretionary hyphen. Cursor in front of word. Type: Cmd-Shift-Hyphen (Mac). Ctrll-Shift-Hyphen (Win)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I searched before I posted but guess I didn't word it quite right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines