• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When exporting my book, the pages do not flow as spreads.

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

I am trying to create a PDF and ePUB of the book I have create in InDesign, however the pages are not flowing properly. I have some nice flowing spreads and then two random pages that stick out as individual pages. All the chapters are individual files with facing pages that I have saved into a book that has been synchronised. How do I get all the pages flowing nicely?

Thank you

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 5.33.29 PM.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Hi Tom from London:

I'll address the PDF part of the question. The book is set up correctly, I suspect it was your export settings. In the animation below, I am exporting an Interactive PDF (because I believe you want to see the PDF on screen) and I'm setting it to Export as Pages (not spreads), Fit to Page and Two up with the cover page.

~Barb

y_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select to export as spreads in the export dialog

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Manan, yes I did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample document where this issue happens.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a Reflowable ePub you'd want single pages only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get the same results as you have pasted in your screenshot when using spread option, it seems to make sense as well. It is not merging two seperate spreads into one. A similiar question is being discussed at the following link, there a user has posted a workaround that you can try unless some chimes in with a proper way(if it even exits)

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/export-book-to-pdf/m-p/11148525?page=1#M187093

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cust:  "… however the pages are not flowing properly. I have some nice flowing spreads and then two random pages that stick out as individual pages …"
issue:  the flow is not continuous when viewing in acrobat … sometime dbl-pg and sometime sngl-pg.

this is elementary … i  have  attached  two  screen-caps  below … to  better  illustrate.

in acrobat … the pdf layout appears different between pg18-19.
in indesign … division between chap1+2 appears different.

start indesign … open both chap1+2+3 files … toggling “pages-palette” in view for each

• chap-1 … first-pg starts on right-side … last-page ends on left-side
  • chap-2 … first-pg starts on right-side … last-page ends on right-side
  • chap-3 … first-pg starts on left-side … last-page ends on right-side

all other chaps … first-pg starts on left-side … last-page ends on right-side … this is good (according to poster).

according  to  your  request … seems to me you’d want the first-page to always appear on left-side in the pages-palette … and last-page to always appears on right-side.  the way you have it set up … you are commanding indesign to stop current pagination after pg18 and start new pagination at pg19.  you may add blank-page at end of chapter … such as what you correctly set up between chap-4 and chap-5.

fwiw … same issue appears with toc-section … you start/stop it obnoxiously … forcing the software to begin/end pagination crudely.

original-layout:

layout_orig.png

optimal-layout:

layout_opt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were producing this text-heavy book, I'd produce one version as a PDF and create another as a Reflowable PDF. The two formats are not compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tom from London:

I'll address the PDF part of the question. The book is set up correctly, I suspect it was your export settings. In the animation below, I am exporting an Interactive PDF (because I believe you want to see the PDF on screen) and I'm setting it to Export as Pages (not spreads), Fit to Page and Two up with the cover page.

~Barb

y_example.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines