• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

when (in InDesign) you select a colour theme, how do I "simply choose “Pantone Match”"?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been looking into the use of CC colour libraries ALL morning!

As I am an artworker, not designer, I sometimes need the colours from a colour theme converting into spot colours. I found this article (https://theblog.adobe.com/perfect-your-palette-with-the-new-adobe-color/) on-line, reading through it sounds very simple, as stated, "From any theme, simply choose “Pantone Match” to convert the colors to a theme of Pantone colors. Choose your book and match the Pantone shade to craft your perfect print palette."

Can anybody tell me where on earth I find the (not seemingly so) simple option to Pantone Match?

Currently I'm working in Adobe InDesign CC (latest version) and I can't find this option anywhere. Please help!?

Cheers

Chuzz

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

This thread might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/convert-cmyk-color-theme-to-pantone-colors/td-p/10923934?page=1

Can anybody tell me where on earth I find the (not seemingly so) simple option to Pantone Match?

You have to use the Aodbe Color site:

https://color.adobe.com/mythemes

Click on an existing theme, and then click PANTONE MATCHES —it’s not a very accurate way of picking color:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Hi Rob,

Great, found it! Thank you. Yes, it wqas unclear this process had to be done on the website.

However, after now finding out what it's done it's probably better to still select colours manually.

As you can see from my screengrabs it shows the spot colours, BUT as per the other documentation you shared, it doesn't actually give you a solid spot colour when imported into Adobe software (ie InDesign) 😩

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 15.15.53.png

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 15.16.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Hi Rob,

That's quite a difference. Looks like it's tailored more for design. It gives a good match but looking at this I think it's best to use it as a visual reference and manually bring in any spot colours required.

Thanks for your help with this 👍🏼

Cheers

Chuzz

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Illustrator to find a Pantone match for a CMYK value. Select a swatch and go to Window> Color Guide> at the bottom left corner of the Color Guide panel, select Pantone+Solid Coated from the fly-out menu. Select the first color added to the color list to add the new spot color to your swatches. Note, not all 4C swatches will have an exact Pantone match. Are you actually planning to print in multiple spot colors?

Color guide Illustrator.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am aware of that technique. What I am trying to experiment with is us as a company utilising CC (color) libraries rather than creating .ase swatch groups (as if I was working alone).

This is the article I found with the way to achieve what I'd like to do…

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 13.10.41.png

This is the section I am trying to follow…

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 13.08.40.png

This is a screen grab of my test document, the colours sampled from the image, and me not being able to find "Pantone Match" anywhere at all…

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 13.51.38.png

I believe there should be a simple way to create matched spot colours to the selected colour theme? It may be I only want one spot colour and it sounds so simple to be able to do it… if only the "Pantone Match" could be found .

I appreciate all the ways I can manually find a colour but why adverise Adobe/Pantone can do this 'simply' if it's so hard to find, and indeed, if it can actually do this?

Cheers

Chuzz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, there are going to be color management problems with the web based color themes because there is no color management with HTML coded color.

Picking the matches in Photoshop via the Color Picker‘s Libraries would get the most accurate color managed matches. Here my image is in the large gamut ProPhoto RGB space, which would include the entire Pantone Solid color gamut (any CMYK space would not)

Screen Shot 3.png

The best Pantone + Solid Coated color (Lab)

Screen Shot 4.png

There is a closer match in the Goe library:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/convert-cmyk-color-theme-to-pantone-colors/td-p/10923934?pag...

You have to use the Aodbe Color site:

https://color.adobe.com/mythemes

Click on an existing theme, and then click PANTONE MATCHES —it’s not a very accurate way of picking color:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Great, found it! Thank you. Yes, it wqas unclear this process had to be done on the website.

However, after now finding out what it's done it's probably better to still select colours manually.

As you can see from my screengrabs it shows the spot colours, BUT as per the other documentation you shared, it doesn't actually give you a solid spot colour when imported into Adobe software (ie InDesign) 😩

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 15.15.53.png

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 15.16.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, the .ase files are not saved as spot colors and the RGB definition is also a problem (Pantone Solid Spot colors are defined as Lab). The appearance of the web colors will change depending on your CC document’s assigned RGB profile—try assigning a wide gamut RGB space like ProPhoto vs. sRGB and you will see the problem.

Screen Shot 7.png

The Adobe Color web app is great for finding color relationships, but the color management limitations of HTML mean you have to limit the Color Modes you save in to either Lab or sRGB (the web CMYK values are not reliable).

If you choose RGB as the Color Mode, your CC documents have to be assigned the sRGB profile in order to keep the color appearance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rob,

That's quite a difference. Looks like it's tailored more for design. It gives a good match but looking at this I think it's best to use it as a visual reference and manually bring in any spot colours required.

Thanks for your help with this 👍🏼

Cheers

Chuzz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines