• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When re-opening file, images are not shown even if the links are there

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the thrid file I'm having this problem with. 

Basically, when re-opening a file, all the images are not shown on "High quality preview" but showing on "Typical quality". But, the funny thing is, I can't export. It says that there are links that doens't exist and abort the export. 

So, it would be a "links" problem, of course, but all the links are there. there's no errors on links panel. So everyday I need to re-link all my images. After a while, I spend more time re-linking stuff than actually working on it. 

How to solve this? I've already tried to clean install InDesign (that means, uninstalling from CC, deleting all the prefs, files, cache [I'm on a Mac with 13.1 Ventura and inDesign 18.1], and re-installing). 

I'll attach some screenshots.

Thanks, 

Geraldo

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you export to IDML; open the IDML; and save-as to a new fresh document? Sometimes this cures odd problems.

In your Edit > Preferences > Display Performance is it set to High Quality? I recommend both places in preferences be set to High Quality.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, thanks 

Tried this already. Reconnected all the links, export as IDML and reopening the file the problem is still there. 

And the preferences are set to High Quality, both on the preferences panel and right-click options. 

I just reconnect all the links but I'm sure, monday when I'll be back I'll need to reconnect everything. Is pretty annoying 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like some sort of network problem. Where are the links stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the computer, not even on a external hd. Could the the computer internal disk that's "sick"? Gonna do a Disk Utility check, just in case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be. Might be a system clock problem, too, I suppose. Running Time Machine? I'm a PC guy, but I think that there may be some background programs that can mess with file timestamps on Mac.

Might be worth running Cocktail, too, if you haven't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for Cocktail suggestion, I'll try. Yes, I use Time Machine but never really had any problems. Will try also disabling. I'll try everything just to get rid of this issue 
Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lots of people using Time Machine without issues, but won't hurt to disable temporarily for testing. A "safe boot" copuld be diagnostic, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines