• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the folder for customized printer presets on a Mac for InD 2021?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does 2021 Creative Cloud store the customized printer presets (.joboptions) on my local Mac? I have searched through finder, and searched through postings to no avail. I can find every other support file, but not the custom printer presets I have created. They exist, b/c I see them through my Print menu in the application/s but I need to find them on my Mac.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

If you want to remove Printer Presets, and that is independently of having *.prst files saved somewhere, visit:

File > Print Presets > Define…

Screenshot from my German InDesign 2021 below.

"Druckvorgaben" > "Print Presets"

with buttons:

"Neu…" > "New…"

"Bearbeiten…" > "Change…"

"Löschen" > "Delete"

"Laden" > "Load…"

"Speichern…" > "Save…"

SavePrinterPreset.PNG

Then select one or more of the presets stored there, change or delete them.

Or save it with the "Save…" button to a *.prst file.

InDesign will ask fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PJ 88,

printer presets are not *.joboptions files.

You could save and load custom printer presets with suffix *.prst

All printer presets could be saved to one single *prst file, select all custom printer presets and save.

Or you could do them individually if you select one and save it to a *.prst file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if I have called them by the wrong name. When I create a custom print preset (from the print dialog box) and save it -- I used to be able to go to the folder where these are stored, and remove ones that were obsolete, or needed a name change. These are the files I am looking for. Even searching for the filename on my Mac I cannot locate their folder, and I have looked in the hidden folders as well. Searched on internet as well,  but can't find any info for Adobe's 2021 version of the CC Suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PJ 88,

printer presets are stored in the "InDesign Defaults" file since at least CS6 (don't know about before that). There are no special *.prst files unless you save them out – Uwe already has mentioned this.

If you indeed meant joboptions – which are the PDF presets you can create on PDF export – those are stored in some subfolder in the InDesign Application folder (-> Resources -> Adobe PDF) in macOS - this was changed in CC (previously they were in the "Applications Support" folder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense intended, but this is not my question. I don't mean joboptions (I wrote the original question in a hurry, again, my apologies). I'm looking for the location of the Custom Print Preset files that are saved from the Print Dialog box, with all the print setting such as the name of th eprinter, the profiles used for color management, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PJ 88,

if you never used the Save button for defined custom Print Presets all the defined presets are stored ONLY inside the "InDesign Defaults" file. You cannot extract them out of this file that is burried in your preferences. If you e.g. trashed preferences the presets are gone.

To give you an idea where the InDesign Defaults file is stored on a Windows 10 system:

InDesignDefaults-Preferences.PNG

AppData > Roaming is Windows 10 specific. On Mac OS this should be:

User[Username] > Library > Preferences >

However, you could save selected Print Presets to *.prst files.

Anywhere.

There is no preferred location for *.prst files.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the info, however, I'm using a Mac. And, when you save a printer preset  you are not presented the option to choose the location. I used to be able to find these all the time in previous versions -- not sure when the change was made, but using CC I can't find the files. They have to be someplace .... searching by the customer preset name doesn't locate them either. So, perhaps there is no answer, it is impossible to manage them. The problem is I want to clean up the old presets for printers we no longer use; how does one do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to remove Printer Presets, and that is independently of having *.prst files saved somewhere, visit:

File > Print Presets > Define…

Screenshot from my German InDesign 2021 below.

"Druckvorgaben" > "Print Presets"

with buttons:

"Neu…" > "New…"

"Bearbeiten…" > "Change…"

"Löschen" > "Delete"

"Laden" > "Load…"

"Speichern…" > "Save…"

SavePrinterPreset.PNG

Then select one or more of the presets stored there, change or delete them.

Or save it with the "Save…" button to a *.prst file.

InDesign will ask for a location in your file system.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. My. Goodness. That's it. I generally don't go through that menu routine, I create them from the actual document. I am SO appreciatetive! I feel a little silly for having missed it -- and really am thankful for the answer. Thanks!

PJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, here it is more than two years later and I feel silly, too, having the same question. @Laubender, thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines