• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to delete some custom colour settings (not all of them) CS6?

Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a bunch of outdated custom colour settings I wish to delete, thought it would be easy to research and do, but hell no, I've just spent ages Googling and still got nowhere fast. See image below. I don't want to get rid of all of them, just some of them. I'm on CS6. Thanks! PS don't get me started on the unsynchronised Bridge - it just won't sync, I keep getting an error message. But that is a different story. 

Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 10.14.16.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Hi kathykate 23,

when in InDesign CS6: to see where all your custom color settings are in your file system, simply press "Load…"

DeleteCustomColorSetting-From-Load-Dialog-0.png

If you never loaded a custom color setting from somewhere else, you should see all the custom color settings in your preferences folder in the "Load…" dialog. When on Windows 10 you can select a custom color setting and use the context menu to delete the settings file:

DeleteCustomColorSetting-From-Load-Dialog-1.png

Windows will prompt you, if you really want to move the selected file to the trash bin:

DeleteCustomColorSetting-From-Load-Dialog-2.png

Should

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way is probably to open Bridge, Edit > Creative Suite Color Settings... then click the button to Show Saved Color Settings Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, would have been perfect, except I can't access that part of Bridge It is why Bridge is not synchronised. I constantly get this error message.  And I  use Photoshop and illustrator and Indesign and they've been launch many times. 

Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 11.57.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows 7 system they're located at D:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Color\Settings (substitute the drive letter where your user profile is lacated, for most people that's C:, and use your own user name), or you can do a file search for .csf on any OS and they should show up.

But I think you might want to see if you can fix Bridge. First thing to try would be to reset the Bridge Preferences. On PC click the shortcut to launch Bridge and IMMEDIATELY hold downCtrl + Alt + Shift keys. If you were fast enough you'll get a reset dialog.  On Mac, if memory serves, it's Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift, and you can hold them down as you click the alias.

If that doesn't do it, do you still have the installers? If not you can still (at least as of a few weeks ago) download them from your Adobe Account if you registered the Suite. With all the precautionary backups done and installers and serial numbers in hand you cand try uninstalling and reinstalling, or you can nuclear and use the CC Cleaner tool before reinstalling. That said, I would be very cautious about doing either of those if you've upgraded the OS. CS6 can be flaky on Windows 10 and newer versions of Mac OS (being a PC guy I can't give you the cut-off version) if it runs at all, and this may be a symptom of that which you just need to live with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are probably hidden files so you'll need to enable searching for hidden files as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kathykate 23,

when in InDesign CS6: to see where all your custom color settings are in your file system, simply press "Load…"

DeleteCustomColorSetting-From-Load-Dialog-0.png

If you never loaded a custom color setting from somewhere else, you should see all the custom color settings in your preferences folder in the "Load…" dialog. When on Windows 10 you can select a custom color setting and use the context menu to delete the settings file:

DeleteCustomColorSetting-From-Load-Dialog-1.png

Windows will prompt you, if you really want to move the selected file to the trash bin:

DeleteCustomColorSetting-From-Load-Dialog-2.png

Should work for Mac OS in a similar way.

If not, you have to visit this folder in the file system:

~/Library/Preferences/Color/Settings/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe, that was a great tip! To delete the ones I didn't want, I had to press LOAD... Haha, no wonder I didn't find it. From there, as you said, it took me straight to where they were residing, and I could right click on each one I didn't want and move straight to the trash. It didn't even prompt me if to see if that was what I really wanted to do (I'm on a Mac). Thanks for the tip, my settings are now looking a bit tidier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines