• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

While exporting separate PDFs from single InDesign file, how do you specify where to save them?

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to default to putting the pdfs in a folder named with the filename. I just want it either in the same folder as the indesign file or a folder named "pdfs."

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Hi Cherry, 

Thanks for reaching out. This is an expected behavior with InDesign. It saves all the PDF's in one folder created with the file name. 
If you want this to be changed, I would request if you can share this feature request on our UserVoice page (https://indesign.uservoice.com/). 
This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Hi @titat10079918 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with the Engineering team and you can do that too by either voting for an existing request or placing a new request here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests 

This is the best way of sharing feedback with the Engineering team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You select the type of PDF you want (either one of the Presets or one from Export) and a dialogue box comes up, Select New Folder, Name and Save it. Then tick, in the next dialogue box, called Export Adobe PDF,  Create Separate PDF Files and this will create in your newly created folder, indvidual page PDFs each separately numbered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to try and help, Derek! I know this of this part of the process; what I'm looking for is to be able to specify where the pdfs get saved. The regular saving or exporting feature on any program lets you save or export to where the working file is, or lets you navigate to the desktop or another folder, even a new folder which you can then name. Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cherry, 

Thanks for reaching out. This is an expected behavior with InDesign. It saves all the PDF's in one folder created with the file name. 
If you want this to be changed, I would request if you can share this feature request on our UserVoice page (https://indesign.uservoice.com/). 
This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the export dialog box, I have a free script where you can export an InDesign file into PDF pages of any page length, including one page. It also chooses the destination folder and PDF export settings to use. The script can be found on my scripts page here: https://colecandoo.com/scripts/ look for Export an InDesign file to PDFs of set page lengths

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post but find this feature troublesome also. It makes one useless extra folder inside the folder I choose and then I have to go move the files from that newly created folder to the folder I actually want them in and delete the useless extra folder.

So as an example I have a folder called PRINT which is where I save all the PDF files ready for print and I want to export my next file into separate PDFs, I choose the folder called PRINT and then indesign creates a NEW folder inside that PRINT folder and puts the files there. Now I have to go to that folder, and move the created files back into PRINT folder and then delete the empty folder that indesign created. I can't have any sub-folders inside my PRINT folder because the contents of that folder will later be uploaded to be printed and no folders can be uploaded to the print houses cloud server. So this is really an annoying feature. If someone wants to have the separate PDFs in a new folder they could just create a new folder earlier in the export dialog when you choose the folder. That's what you normally do when you want to store the files in a new folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @titat10079918 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with the Engineering team and you can do that too by either voting for an existing request or placing a new request here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests 

This is the best way of sharing feedback with the Engineering team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE GET THIS FIXED! This is very annoying and doesn't even fit normal exporting practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed, mine just started doing this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines