• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I have to switch off wifi to make InDesign work?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a 2019 iMac with 64GB RAM and a fast SSD drive.

I am working on a very small brochure.

Its outrageous that I have to keep switching wifi on and off to prevent the spinning beachball of death. Without doing this every time I click on an element the beachball spins for 5 secs. It makes working on the document almost impossible. If I turn wifi off and on again, the problem goes away for a while, then starts again and I have to turn off wifi again. This is outrageous coming from a company that is charging me top dollar, and forcing me to signup for a whole suite of programs I do not want. I only need Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Firstly. this is a user to user forum. 

For official Adboe Support please visit https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

There is a chat icon there and you will be able to get support through this.

This forum is mainly of users - like yourself - as it's a user to user forum.

Sometimes Adobe staff do visit the forum.

=================

I'm not sure what the issue is - but if it was a common issue the forum would be flooded with people of the same complaint.

My best guess is a font conflict of an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly. this is a user to user forum. 

For official Adboe Support please visit https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

There is a chat icon there and you will be able to get support through this.

This forum is mainly of users - like yourself - as it's a user to user forum.

Sometimes Adobe staff do visit the forum.

=================

I'm not sure what the issue is - but if it was a common issue the forum would be flooded with people of the same complaint.

My best guess is a font conflict of an installed font and having Adobe Fonts auto-activating in the background.

On a guess:

Go to InDesign Preferences

File Handling

And turn off Auto-Activate Fonts

=============

Sometimes there is a clue when it's hanging - the spinning Blue Circle in the Title Bar indicates something working in the background.

You can open the Window>Utilities>Background Tasks

To see what might be happening when working on your document.

====

Common Fixes

1. Export your file to IDML - and open that in InDesign and resave as an indesign file

See if issue persists

2. Reset your indesign preferences

Delete InDesign preferences with shortcuts
You can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt
Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command

Deeper clean options here
https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

3. Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

4. Rollback to a previous version of InDesign

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Eugene, this is not an application issue but a system, or possibly a font corruption problem. If you work through the suggestions he posted you should be able to sort out the issue, if not, return here for further suggestions.
Speaking personally, I think for around $50 a month for a suite of industry standard professional applications, is good value.

By the way, welcome to this friendly user-to-user forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rupert,

I hope your issue is resolved now. If you still have such issues, in addition to the helpful suggestions given by Eugene earlier, I'd recommend you create a new user on your mac & try working on the app there. Let us know if you encounter a similar behavior there.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Ashutosh

The issue is not resolved.

You guys keep handing out this inane advice such as ‘create a new user’ or 'delete you preferences' or ' its a font problem' and slapping yourselves on the back - problem solved!

This is the issue: InDesign slows down to a snails pace when wifi is switched on and Time Machine is backing up. This is an issue that has been highlighted hundreds of times on this site. This issue disappears when you switch the wifi off.

Why is it that you pretend that there is no such issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines