• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does InDesign have so many CEP HTML Engines running at once?

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've beens struggling with InDesign crashing pretty much constantly over small things like copy-pasting, scrolling, saving, exporting, or deselecting text boxes. It will work for an hour or two at the most, and then it takes 30 minutes of crashing and relaunching to export a PDF of the final file. Then I have to restart and/or delete the entire cache manually to get it to work again. I'm working on Windows 10, with everything updated. (For the record, I've tried updating, down-grading, uninstalling, and reinstalling InDesign, CC, and pretty much every single Adobe product on the computer. I've swapped out cables, updated GPU drivers, tried both the "Design" and "video game" version of NVidia's driver, and dozens of other things. Nothing helps.)

Anyway, because this is an ongoing thorn in my side (more like a lance in the gut), I've started monitoring the Task Manageer to see if there's something funky going on. Here is one such funky thing: 15 Adobe CEP HTML Engines going on at once:

ZebraJamie_0-1650393626824.png

Is this normal? It doesn't feel normal.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. I see the 15 instances of Adobe CEP HTML Engine as well on my German Windows 10 machine when running InDesign 2022. But I do not have that much Power Usage going on like in your case. So, well it could be "normal" to see the 15 instances, but its not normal that your InDesign is crashing so much.

How much memory do you have available on your machine?

I have 32 GByte installed.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have 32 gigs.

Shortly after I posted this, I double-checked and I got 30 instances of the CEP HTML Engine. It seems to switch betwee running behind InDesign (as pictured above) and running in the background like this:

ZebraJamie_0-1650473291464.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Zebra Jamie,

See the article at the link below, it might help

https://helpx.adobe.com/lu_en/x-productkb/global/high_cpu_usage_cephtmlengine.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manan,

I already checked out that page, but I don't have any of the folders listed in either solution. For solution 1, the "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Adobe\Creative Cloud Libraries\Logs" folder doesn't exist. (The Creative Cloud Libraries folder doesn't exist either.)

ZebraJamie_1-1650473616247.png

For solution 2, all those file paths are for 2015 versions of the programs, which I don't run, and there is no corresponding 2022/most recent version folder that I can find.

ZebraJamie_0-1650473524440.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it would help if you create the missing Creative Cloud Libraries and logs folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same thought--but would InDesign use the folders if it didn't make them in the first place? It re-populates everything else in the cache when I need to delete it/rename it.

I'll give it a shot, but I don't have much hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The other option, in my mind, would be to uninstal and run the CC Cleaner tool before reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines